Florida House of Representatives District 85
|Florida House of Representatives District 85|
|Current incumbent||Pat Rooney|
|Race||84.9% White, 8.2% Black, 0.2% Native American, 2.9% Asian, 0% Pacific Islander, 1.8% Some other race alone, 1.9% Two or More Races|
|Ethnicity||75.7% Single-Race Non-Hispanic White, 8.6% Non-Hispanic Black, 0.5% Hispanic Black, 11.3% Hispanic, 4.0% Non-Hispanic Other|
|Voting age||80% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 158,442 civilians reside within Florida's eighty-fifth state house district. Florida state representatives represent an average of 156,678 residents, as of the 2010 Census. After the 2000 Census, each member represented approximately 133,186 residents.
About the office
Members of the Florida House of Representatives serve two-year terms with term limits. Members of the House may serve no more than four consecutive terms. Florida legislators assume office two weeks following their election.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Florida legislature are paid $29,687 per year. Legislators are allowed $131 per day for per diem, tied to the federal rate. Travel vouchers are required.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
The Florida legislature is one of 15 state legislatures with term limits. Voters enacted the Florida Term Limits Act in 1992. That initiative said that Florida representatives are subject to term limits of no more than four four-year terms.
If there is a vacancy in the house, a special election must be called to fill the vacant seat. The Governor is responsible for calling the election and must consult with the Secretary of State to set the election dates and nominating deadlines. The person elected to fill the seat serves for the remainder of the unexpired term.
Elections for the office of Florida House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place August 26, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 20, 2014. Incumbent Patrick Rooney was unopposed in the Republican primary and is unchallenged in the general election.
Elections for the office of Florida House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on August 14, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 8, 2012. Incumbent Pat Rooney (R) defeated David Lutrin (D) in the general election. Both candidates were unopposed in the August 14 primary elections. 
|Florida House of Representatives, District 85, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Pat Rooney, Jr. Incumbent||57.6%||44,538|
Since 2012, candidates for Florida House of Representatives District 85 have raised a total of $239,573. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $119,787 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Florida House of Representatives District 85|
- www.flsenate.gov/‘’ “Florida District Demographic Profile,” accessed November 12, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Population Distribution and Change: 2000 to 2010," accessed January 6, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population: 2000," April 2, 2001
- Florida Constitution, accessed December 16, 2013(referenced Article III, Section 15a)
- Florida Division of Elections," "Candidate Qualifying Information," accessed December 16, 2103
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Florida Legislature, "Florida Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 100.101(2), Florida Election Code)
- Florida Legislature, "Florida Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 100.141 (1) (2), Florida Election Code)
- Florida Legislature, "Florida Election Law," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute 100.111 (1) (a-c), Florida Election Code)
- Florida Division of Elections, "2014 Florida Election Watch - Multi-County or District Offices," accessed September 3, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Candidate Listing for 2014 General Election," accessed June 23, 2014
- Florida Division of Elections, "Official 2012 General Election Results," accessed December 6, 2013
- Florida Secretary of State Election Division, "Candidate List," accessed June 21, 2012
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |