Florida School Construction Finance, Amendment 7 (1970)
This amendment sought to modify Article VII, Section 9 of the Florida Constitution to allow for a pay-as-you-go finance system for school construction through temporary tax increases approved by voters.
|Florida Amendment 7 (1970)|
Election results via: ICPSR
Text of measure
The language that appeared on the ballot:
ARTICLE VII, SECTION 9
LOCAL SCHOOL CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS. Proposing an amendment to Article VII, Section 9 of the State Constitution to authorize school boards to levy ad valorem taxes in excess of ten mills for periods up to ten years for capital improvement purposes when authorized by vote of electors who are owners of freeholds not wholly exempt from taxation.
Section 9. Local Taxes.
(a) Counties, school districts, and municipalities shall, and special districts may, be authorized by law to levy ad valorem taxes and may be authorized by general law to levy other taxes, for their respective purposes, except ad valorem taxes on intangible personal property and taxes prohibited by this constitution.
(b) Ad valorem taxes, exclusive of taxes levied for the payment of bonds and taxes levied for periods not longer than two (2) years, or not longer than ten (10) years in the case of taxes designated by a school board for capital improvements, when authorized by vote of the electors who are the owners of freeholds therein not wholly exempt from taxation, shall not be levied in excess of the following millages upon the assessed value of real estate and tangible personal property: for all county purposes, ten (10) mills; for all municipal purposes, ten (10) mills; for all school purposes, ten (10) mills; and for special districts a millage authorized by law approved by vote of the electors who are owners of freeholds therein not wholly exempt from taxation. A county furnishing municipal services may, to the extent authorized by law, levy additional taxes within the limits fixed for municipal purposes.
- Florida November 3, 1970 Amendment Proposals - Florida Constitutional Revision Commission
- Sample Ballot - Ocala Star-Banner, October 26, 1970
- Ocala Star-Banner, "Sample Ballot," October 26, 1970
- REFERENDA AND PRIMARY ELECTION MATERIALS [Computer file]. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1995. doi:10.3886/ICPSR00006.v1
- Ocala Star-Banner, "Seven Amendment Cover Youth, Courts, Money," November 2, 1970
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Florida Constitutional Revision Commission, "Amendments, Election of 11-3-70"
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |