Florida Slot Machines, Amendment 4 (2004)
The amendment was originally labeled as Article X, Section 19, but renumbered to avoid conflict with another Article X, Section 19 in the Florida Constitution.
|Florida Amendment 4 (2004)|
Results via: the Florida Department of State, Division of Elections
Text of measure
The ballot title read:
|“||Authorizes Miami-Dade and Broward County Voters to Approve Slot Machines in Parimutuel Facilities||”|
The ballot summary read:
|“||Authorizes Miami-Dade and Broward Counties to hold referenda on whether to authorize slot machines in existing, licensed parimutuel facilities (thoroughbred and harness racing, greyhound racing, and jai alai) that have conducted live racing or games in that county during each of the last two calendar years before effective date of this amendment. The Legislature may tax slot machine revenues, and any such taxes must supplement public education funding statewide. Requires implementing legislation.||”|
The fiscal note was as follows:
|“||This amendment alone has no fiscal impact on government. If slot machines are authorized in Miami-Dade or Broward counties, governmental costs associated with additional gambling will increase by an unknown amount and local sales tax-related revenues will be reduced by $5 million to $8 million annually. If the Legislature also chooses to tax slot machine revenues, state tax revenues from Miami-Dade and Broward counties combined would range from $200 million to $500 million annually.||”|
The text of the amendment read:
SECTION 19. SLOT MACHINES –
The "Yes on 4" committee dramatically outspent the "No on 4" group. Those in favor of the proposition spent $15,512,278 while those opposed spent $303,223.
The pro-Amendment 4 committee was called Floridians for a Level Playing Field. The group's major donors were:
- Calder Race Court, $4,465,627
- Isle of Capri Casino, $3,410,000
- West Flagler Associates, $2,296,398
- Gulfstream Park Racing, $1,500,000
- Hartman & Tyner, $1,460,000
- Hollywood Greyhound Track, $820,000
- Flagler Greyhound Track, $585,000
- Racing Corp of West Virginia, $475,000
Path to the ballot
- The initiative was sponsored by Floridians For a Level Playing Field.
- The initiative petition required 488,722 signatures and 526,718 were found valid.
- "Authorizes Miami-Dade and Broward County Voters to Approve Slot Machines in Parimutuel Facilities 02-07," Florida Department of State, Division of Elections
- Article X, Section 23 of the Florida Constitution
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- "Sample Ballot," Monroe County, FL
- Donors to "Yes on 4" committee
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |