Cities in Florida
(Redirected from Florida cities (Sunshine Review))
Types of local government
Local government in Florida consists of:
- 67 county governments (this includes Jacksonville, a consolidated city-county, which is listed by the U.S. Census Bureau as a city government).
- 410 city governments.
- In addition, there are 983 special districts and 95 independent school districts.
All 410 cities in Florida are classified as charter cities.
Initiative process availability
The local units of government in Florida that make the initiative process available are:
- Charter cities, all 410 of which have a state mandated initiative and referendum process for charter amendments.
- Charter counties, which have the authority for the creation of an initiative and referendum process for charter amendment. All 20 have exercised this power and have some form of initiative and referendum in their charters.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Florida|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Jacksonville||827,908||Consolidated City-County Charter||11/4/2014|
|Port St. Lucie||166,149||Charter||11/4/2014|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Florida cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)
- Duval County Upcoming Elections
- Miami Elections
- Tampa Election Information
- St. Petersburg City Elections
- Orlando Election Information
- Hialeah Elections Information
- Tallahassee Clerk
- Fort Lauderdale Election Information
- Port St. Lucie Election Information
- Pembroke Pines City Clerk