For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Florida elections, 2013
Florida election information for 2013 is listed below.
|On the 2013 ballot|
Exceptions include special elections.
Find current election news and links here.
|Click here for all|
November 5, 2013
There are several special elections scheduled for the state of Florida in 2013.
Elections by type
State House District 36
- Rep. Mike Fasano (R) resigned on August 15, 2013, following his appointment as Pasco County Tax Collector. A special election has been called for October 15, with a primary on September 17. Amanda Murphy and Bill Gunter faced off in the October 15 special election, which Murphy won. The filing period ended on August 27.
- Related: See election results here.
State House District 2
- Rep. Clay Ford (R) passed away on March 18, 2013 after a battle with cancer. A special election was called for June 11, 2013. A primary took place on May 14, 2013, which Mike Hill won. Hill faced Jeremy Lau in the June 11 special election and Hill won. Candidates had until April 23 to file certified nomination papers with the Secretary of State.
- Related: See election results here.
Voting in Florida
- See also: Voting in Florida
Important voting information
- Florida uses a closed primary system, meaning voters must register with a party to be able to vote in their primary election.
- Registration forms must be filled out at least 29 days prior to the election you wish to vote in.
- As of March 2015, Florida is one of 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
- See also: Absentee voting by state
For information about eligibility, deadlines, military and overseas voting and updates to the voting laws in Florida, please visit our absentee voting by state page.
- See also: Early voting
Florida is one of 33 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins 10 days before an election and ends 3 days prior to election day. The average number of days prior to an election that voters can cast an early ballot is 21 days in states with a definitive starting date.
Elections Performance Index
Florida ranked 25th out of the 50 states and District of Columbia in the Pew Charitable Trusts' Elections Performance Index (EPI), based on the 2012 elections. The EPI examines election administration performance and assigns an average percentage score based on 17 indicators of election performance. These indicators were chosen in order to determine both the convenience and integrity of these three phases of an election: registration, voting and counting. Florida received an overall score of 65 percent.
- pascovotes.com, "Special Election 2013, House District 36," accessed August 19, 2013
- election.dos.state.fl.us, "Candidate Listing for 2013 Special Election - House 36," accessed August 27, 2013
- tampabay.com, "Florida State Representative Clay Ford dies," March 19, 2013
- weartv.com, "Special Election to be held to fill Representative Clay Ford's District Seat," April 4, 2014
- election.dos.state.fl.us, "Candidate Listing for 2013 Special Election - State House 2," accessed April 24,2013
- sunshinestatenews.com, "Mike Hill Wins Florida House District 2 Republican Primary," May 14, 2013
- Pew Charitable Trusts, "Election Performance Index Report," accessed April 23, 2014
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |