Flushing Township recall, Michigan, 2009
Recall efforts against four board members of the Flushing Township was defeated.
According to the approved petition the reason for the recall is the layoff of five police officers, the end of 24-hour township police coverage and the removal of a police officer from Flushing High School. Recall organizer Kurt Zimmerman said,"Our concern is if we waited longer there would be more damage done," he said. "They've done more harm in the last six months than anyone else has before."
In late October 2009 the Flushing Township Police Department released a report that said that the department had spent approximately $8,500 in overtime pay since the layoff of one full-time and three part-time police officers. From June - October 2009 police officers have accumulated a total of 190 overtime hours. Sgt. Brian Fairchild said, "There are no huge gains or huge losses with the layoff."
Path to the ballot
Recall supporters have 180 days following the June 17 approval of the petition language to collect sufficient signatures to place the measure on the ballot. A minimum of 1,260 valid signatures are required. In late August 2009 both the county and township clerks certified 1,350 signatures, more than enough to force a recall election.
- Flint Journal, "Flushing Township recall supporters dispute claims in advertisement," October 13, 2009
- Flint Journal, "Flushing Township recall language harshest against Treasurer Bill Noecker," October 3, 2009
- Flint Journal, "Flushing Township voters clear in their support of four facing recall," November 4, 2009
- Genessee County, "November 3, 2009 election results," accessed November 18, 2009
- The Flint Journal, "Flushing Township residents file recall petition against treasurer and trustees," June 2, 2009
- Flint Journal, "Flushing Township Police release overtime spending report; four facing recall dispute numbers," October 27, 2009
- The Flint Journal, "Language approved for Flushing Township recall petitions," June 17, 2009
- The Michigan Messenger, "Flushing recall petition signatures approved," August 24, 2009