Washington Foreign Corporate Alien Land Ownership, HJR 16 (1954)
The Washington Corporate Alien Land Ownership Amendment, also known as House Joint Resolution 16, was on the November 2, 1954 ballot in Washington as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved. The measure redefined "alien" to include foreign corporations, thus forbidding their ownership of land in the state. The measure amended Section 33 of Article II of the Washington Constitution.
Section 33 of Article II of the Washington Constitution was repealed in 1960 when SJR 20 was approved and enacted.
Election results via: Washington Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“||ALIEN LAND OWNERSHIP; CORPORATION AMENDMENT
Shall Article II, section 33 as amended by Amendment 24 of the Constitution of the State of Washington, be amended by redefining "alien," thereby permitting the legislature to determine the policy of the state respecting the ownership of land by corporations having alien shareholders?
- Washington Removal of Limitation on Land Ownership, SJR 20 (1966)
- Washington Ownership of Land by Aliens, SJR 4 (1960)
- Washington Land Ownership by Canadians, SJR 9 (1950)
- Washington Alien Residents Purchase of Lands, Amendment to Article II Sec. 33 (1914)
- State of Washington ballot measure election results
- State of Washington 1954 Voters Pamphlet & Local Voters Pamphlet
- Washington State Constitution
- Office of the Secretary of State, "1954 Voters Pamphlet," accessed September 10, 2013
- Washington State Legislature, "Washington State Constitution," accessed September 10, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |