Fort Bend Independent School District, Texas
|Fort Bend Independent School District|
|Sugar Land, Texas|
|Superintendent:||Charles E. Dupre|
|Number of schools:||74|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Jim Rice|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Fort Bend Independent School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtSugar Land, a city in Fort Bend County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Sugar Land is home to 82,480 residents.
Sugar Land outperformed the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 53.8 percent of Sugar Land residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Sugar Land was $107,149 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Sugar Land was 4.4 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The superintendent of Fort Bend Independent School District during the 2013-2014 school year was Charles E. Dupre. He has served in the position since his appointment in 2013. Dupre previously served as the superintendent of Pflugerville Independent School District in Texas from 2006 to 2013.
The Fort Bend Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Positions 1, 2 and 3 are selected from west-side residents, Position 4 is an at-large seat and the remaining seats are selected from east-side residents. Trustees are not paid but receive compensation for travel expenses and conference fees associated with district business.
|Fort Bend Board of Trustees|
|Member||Position||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Trustees are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats are up for election on May 10, 2014. Two seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats are up for election in May 2016.
Public participation in board meetings
The Board of Trustees maintains the following policy regarding public participation in board meetings last updated in 2014:
Audience participation at a Board meeting is limited to the public comment portion of the meeting designated for that purpose. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
—Fort Bend Independent School District's website, (2014) 
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Fort Bend Independent School District offers an annual starting salary of $46,750 for new teachers. The median annual salary for district teachers is $53,012 and the maximum salary is $62,405.
Schools in Fort Bend Independent School District
The district's K-12 student enrollment grew from 68,948 students during the 2010-2011 school year to 69,123 students during the 2012-2013 school year.
Fort Bend Independent School District operates 74 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Fort Bend Independent School District|
|Armstrong Elementary School|
|Austin High School|
|Austin Parkway Elementary School|
|Baines Middle School|
|Barrington Place Elementary School|
|Blue Ridge Elementary School|
|Bowie Middle School|
|Brazos Bend Elementary School|
|Briargate Elementary School|
|Burton Elementary School|
|Bush High School|
|Clements High School|
|Colony Bend Elementary School|
|Colony Meadows Elementary School|
|Commonwealth Elementary School|
|Cornerstone Elementary School|
|Crockett Middle School|
|Drabek Elementary School|
|Dulles Elementary School|
|Dulles High School|
|Dulles Middle School|
|Elkins High School|
|Ferndell Henry Center for Learning|
|First Colony Middle School|
|Fleming Elementary School|
|Fort Settlement Middle School|
|Garcia Middle School|
|Glover Elementary School|
|Goodman Elementary School|
|Heritage Rose Elementary School|
|Highlands Elementary School|
|Hightower High School|
|Hodges Bend Middle School|
|Holley Elementary School|
|Hunters Glen Elementary School|
|Jones Elementary School|
|Jordan Elementary School|
|Kempner High School|
|Lake Olympia Middle School|
|Lakeview Elementary School|
|Lantern Lane Elementary School|
|Lexington Creek Elementary School|
|Marshall High School|
|McAuliffe Middle School|
|Meadows Elementary School|
|Mission Bend Elementary School|
|Mission Glen Elementary School|
|Mission West Elementary School|
|Missouri City Middle School|
|M.R. Wood Center for Learning|
|Oakland Elementary School|
|Oyster Creek Elementary School|
|Palmer Elementary School|
|Parks Elementary School|
|Pecan Grove Elementary School|
|Progressive High School|
|Quail Valley Elementary School|
|Quail Valley Middle School|
|Ridge Point High School|
|Ridgegate Elementary School|
|Ridgemont Elementary School|
|Sartatia Middle School|
|Scanlan Oaks Elementary School|
|Schiff Elementary School|
|Seguin Elementary School|
|Settlers Way Elementary School|
|Sienna Crossing Elementary School|
|Sugar Land Middle School|
|Sugar Mill Elementary School|
|Technical Education Center|
|Townewest Elementary School|
|Travis High School|
|Walker Station Elementary School|
|Willowridge High School|
The Texas Education Agency issues an annual accountability report for each school district in the state. This rating determines if district schools fulfill expectations in four categories of educational achievement during a particular school year. The following terms explain these categories:
- Student Achievement: Measures student performance on the annual Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test.
- Student Progress: Measures student performance in reading, math and writing courses at the district level.
- Closing Performance Gaps: Measures year-to-year performance among students in the lowest-performing demographics.
- Postsecondary Readiness: Measures student readiness for college, employment or military service after graduation.
Fort Bend Independent School District received a Met Standard designation on the state's 2013 report. District schools met 95% of indicators set forth by state education officials and all four assessment categories. The following table details the district's accountability report during the 2012-2013 school year:
|Performance Index Summary, 2012-2013|
|Category||Points earned||Maximum points||Index score||Target score|
|Closing Performance Gaps||1,140||1,500||76||55|
|Transparency grading process|
This website was most recently evaluated on November 25, 2012.
- The most current budget is listed.
- Budgets are archived for seven years.
- Administrative Officials
- Department heads are listed for each department.
- Contact information for administrative officials is provided including a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- Elected Officials
- Elected officials are listed with a mailing address, phone number and personalized email.
- The most recent audit is posted.
- Audits dating back to 2007 are available.
- Public Records
- There is a mailing address, phone number and email address for FOIA requests.
- A public records form is provided.
- A fee schedule for documents is provided.
- Tax revenues are broken down by federal, state and local funding in the budget.
- Local taxes, like property taxes, are available online.
- Academic performance reports for the school are posted online.
- Background Checks
- The criminal background check policy and teacher certification requirements are posted online.
- Only two years of agendas and minutes are provided. Sunshine Review requires them to be archived for 3-5 years to qualify.
- Public Records
- The public information officer is not identified by name. Sunshine Review requires a mailing address, phone number and personalized email be listed with this position. The name and personalized email must be provided.
- List of school districts in Texas
- Fort Bend Independent School District elections (2014)
- School Board Elections portal
- Fort Bend Independent School District
- Sugar Land, Texas
- Texas Education Agency
- Texas Association of School Boards
- Texas Education Agency, "2012-2013 Texas Academic Performance Report: Fort Bend ISD," accessed February 21, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Fort Bend ISD History," accessed February 21, 2014 (dead link)
- United States Census Bureau, "Sugar Land, Texas," accessed February 21, 2014
- Fort Bend County Elections, "Election Results," accessed February 21, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Superintendent," accessed February 21, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Eligibility/Qualifications," October 21, 2011
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Public Participation," January 30, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Budget 2013-2014," accessed November 27, 2013
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "2014-2015 Budget Information," accessed December 15, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "2013-2014 Pay Structures," accessed February 21, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Schools," accessed February 21, 2014
- Texas Education Agency, "Accountability Summary 2013: Fort Bend ISD," accessed February 21, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Budgets," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Administration," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Board of Trustees," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Minutes, Agendas, Notices and Video," accessed February 21, 2014
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Board Meetings," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Financial Information," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Current Bids and Proposals," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Awarded Bids and Proposals," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Compensation," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Public Information," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Tax Information," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Accountability," accessed November 25, 2012
- Fort Bend Independent School District, "Criminal History Check," accessed November 25, 2012