New York State Senate District 6
|Profession||Small Business Owner|
- See also: New York State Senate elections, 2010
Carlow defeated David Mejlas in the September 14 Democratic primary, but Mejlas secured the nomination of the Working Families Party. Carlow was defeated by incumbent Kemp Hannon (R) in the general election on November 2.
Carlow discusses reforming Albany
Carlow's campaign website details several main issues:
- Government Reform: "I favor term limits, independent redistricting, lower taxes, and a full forensic audit of every state agency and authority! I favor a zero tolerance policy for ethical violations. I think that every state legislator should contribute to the cost of their health insurance just as I and almost every New Yorker is required to do. That would be fair. I am in favor of legislators forfeiting (not deferring) a days pay for every day that the budget is late."
- Taxes: "We have been taxed to the limit. We just can’t afford any more of Mr. Hannon’s tax increases. On the spending side the state budget has more than doubled on his watch... As someone who has been in Albany for 34 years, Mr. Hannon is very much part of the problem up there. Besides being an integral part of Joe Bruno’s tax and spend culture during his 19 years in the majority, Mr. Hannon has contributed mightily to the dysfunction that rules Albany."
- Non-partisan Politics: "My campaign is not about Democrat or Republican. It is about a new, independent voice for Long Island, one who will fight for average, hard working families...I am an independent Democrat. Other than you, the people of the 6th District, I don’t owe anyone anything. I am truly the people’s candidate. I am one of you."
- BA Political Science, In Progress, South Dakota State University
- Hamlin High School, 1990
- Co- Owner of Trio Hardware and Paint (1965- current)
- President Plainview-Old Bethpage Chamber of Commerce (2003-2010)
- Second Vice President NCCC Nassau Council of Chambers of Commerce
- Nassau County Empire Zone Administrative Board
- LI 2035 Regional Visioning Stakeholder Committee
- CERT 2010 National Program
- 2008 Nassau County Women Trailblazer
- Congressman Steve Israel Next Generation Energy Security Task Force
- Board of Directors POB Athletic Booster Club, Title IX, Safenet,
- PTA Lifetime Founders Day Award Recipient
- Plainview Cooperative Nursery School Board of Directors
71 Barnum Avenue
Plainview, NY 11803
- Official campaign website
- Official campaign facebook page
- Official campaign twitter page
- LinkedIn profile
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Newsday Candidate profile and recent coverage
- Imagine Election profile