Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Rhode Island Supreme Court|
|Title:||Former chief justice|
|Law School:||Boston University|
Frank J. Williams was the chief justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court from 2001 until his retirement in 2008. He continued to serve the court on senior status until stepping down on October 20, 2009. In 2010, Williams retired from his position as supervising judge of the 4th Judicial District.
He served as the chief justice beginning 2001 after having been appointed to the court as a justice in 1995. Republican Governor Lincoln Almond appointed Williams to the court. The justices of the Rhode Island Supreme Court hold office for life, however, in December 2008, Justice Williams announced his retirement effective December 31, 2008.
The Rhode Island Judicial Nominating Commission reviewed candidates for his replacement and submitted a list to Republican Governor Carcieri. Carcieri nominated Paul Suttell for the position of Chief Justice, and he was unanimously approved by the Rhode Island Senate.
Office renovation controversy
Shortly after Williams stepped down from the Rhode Island Supreme Court, $42,000 was spent to renovate his chambers. The expense sparked controversy, which Williams answered by saying: "I take the responsibility. I'll stand up for what was done here any day of the week".
Stepping down from the court
After Williams resigned from the court in 2008, he continued to serve on senior status until October 20, 2009, when he stepped down fully. He stated that a divorce case involving his former driver has created an "unnecessary distraction." The husband of his former driver accused Williams of spending too much time with their 6-year-old daughter, Williams' god-daughter. Williams claims that he never spent time with his god-daughter without an invitation from her parents.
- Exacting Editor.com, "Author Profile: Frank Williams"
- Caught.net, "A List Of The Judicial Misconduct Of Chief Justice Frank J. Williams"
- Providence Journal, "Williams steps down from R.I. Supreme Court," October 21, 2009
- Times Union.com, "Veteran judge Williams retire," July 31, 2010
- Martindale.com, "Judge Profile: Frank J. Williams," accessed August 13, 2014
- NBC 10, "I-Team: Chief Justice Frank Williams retiring," December 11, 2008
- WPRI, "42K spent on judge's office renovation," April 3, 2009
- ABC 6, "COURTS: Former Justice Williams Not Taking Cases, Cites Former Driver's Divorce," October 20, 2009 (dead link)
- Providence Journal, "Update: Ex-chief justice Williams won't hear new cases," October 20, 2009
- Providence Journal, "Retired R.I. chief justice Williams describes role in family of his former driver," November 13, 2009
|Former||Frank Williams •|