Frederick County Public Schools, Virginia
|Frederick County |
|Frederick County, Virginia|
|Superintendent:||Dr. David T. Sovine|
|Number of schools:||20|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
About the district
In terms of average household income and poverty rate, Frederick County overperformed in these areas. The average household income was $66,440 compared to $63,302 in the entire state. Frederick County had a poverty rate of 7.9%, while the poverty rate for Virginia was 10.7%. The graduation rate was an area where Frederick County underperformed, 84.3% compared to 86.6% statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current superintendent of Frederick County Public Schools is Dr. David T. Sovine, who was appointed in July 2011. He holds a bachelor's degree in physical education from West Virginia University Institute of Technology, a master's degree in administration from Virginia Commonwealth University, and a doctorate in administration and supervision from the University of Virginia. Prior to his current position, Sovine served as both a teacher, principal and Executive Director for Spotsylvania County Public Schools.
Frederick County Public Schools is governed by a seven-member school board. Six of the board members represent the county's individual magisterial districts and one member is elected at-large. Board members are elected for four-year terms which are staggered at two-year intervals.
|Frederick County School Board|
|Member||Role||District Name||Term Ends|
|Stuart Wolk||Chair||Member At-Large||2015|
|Benjamin Waterman||Vice Chair||Opequon District||2015|
|Peggy Clark||Member||Redbud District||2017|
|Michael A. Lake||Member||Gainesboro District||2015|
|John Lamanna||Member||Shawnee District||2017|
|Jody S. Wall||Member||Back Creek District||2015|
|Frank E. Wright||Member||Stonewall District||2017|
School board elections
Three seats were up for election on the Frederick County Public School board on November 5, 2013. Peggy Clark, John Lamanna and Frank E. Wright all incumbents won re-election. Four seats will be up for election in November 2015.
Frederick County Public Schools published its annual budget on the Georgia Department of Education website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
|Frederick County Teacher Salary Scale 2013-2014|
|Level||Years of Experience||Bachelor's Degree ($)||Bachelor's + 15 ($)||Bachelor's + 30 ($)||Master's Degree ($)||CAGS ($)||Doctorate ($)|
Schools in Frederick County
Frederick County operates 20 schools listed below in alphabetical order.
|Frederick County schools|
|Apple Pie Ridge Elementary School|
|Armel Elementary School|
|Bass-Hoover Elementary School|
|Dowell J. Howard Center|
|Evendale Elementary School|
|Frederick County Middle School|
|Gainesboro Elementary School|
|Greenwood Mill Elementary School|
|Indian Hollow Elementary School|
|James Wood High School|
|James Wood Middle School|
|Middletown Elementary School|
|Millbrook High School|
|Northwestern Regional Educational Programs|
|Orchard View Elementary School|
|Redbud Run Elementary School|
|Robert E. Aylor Middle School|
|Sherando High School|
|Stonewall Elementary School|
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Frederick County Public Schools as having a student population of 13,144 and 18 schools in the division.
Frederick County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Admiral Richard E. Byrd Middle||6 – 8||828||No|
|Apple Pie Ridge Elementary||Pre-K - 5||512||Yes|
|Armel Elementary||Pre-K - 5||600||Yes|
|Bass-Hoover Elementary||Pre-K - 5||612||Yes|
|Evandale Elementary||Pre-K - 5||466||No|
|Frederick County Middle||6 - 8||705||No|
|Gainesboro Elementary||Pre-K - 5||519||No|
|Greenwood Mill Elementary||N/A||794||N/A – New School|
|Indian Hollow Elementary||Pre-K - 5||416||Yes|
|James Wood High||9 - 12||1,311||Yes|
|James Wood Middle||6 - 8||814||No|
|Middletown Elementary||Pre-K - 5||547||No|
|Millbrook High||9 - 12||1,291||Yes|
|Orchard View Elementary||Pre-K - 5||450||No|
|Redbud Run Elementary||Pre-K - 5||629||No|
|Robert E. Aylor Middle||6 - 8||612||No|
|Sherando High||9 - 12||1,592||No|
|Stonewall Elementary||Pre-K - 5||446||Yes|
|Transparency grading process|
Last updated on June 27, 2010.
- The Frederick County Public Schools 2009-2010 budget and proposed 2010-2011 budget, including federal, state, and local revenue information, are available.
- School board meeting schedule and agendas are available.
- Administrative and school board contact information is available.
- SOL testing results and school accreditation status are available. Academic performance information is also available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- The Frederick County Comprehensive Annual Financial Report includes the school board’s financial information.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Discloses policy on background checks.
- Meeting minutes are not available.
- The website does not include information regarding audits audits.
- The website publishes its policy on answering public records requests but does not indicate how to decide which is the appropriate school official.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- School board elections portal
- Frederick County Public Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in Virginia
- Frederick County Public Schools
- Frederick County, Virginia
- Virginia Department of Education
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia Education Association
- United States Census, "Quick Facts: Frederick County," accessed September 19, 2013]
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed September 19, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Superintendent's Bio Accessed September 19, 2013
- School Board Accessed September 19, 2013
- Frederick County Public Schools, "Frederick County Public Schools FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 2, 2013
- 2013-2014 Salary Scales" accessed September 19, 2013
- Our Schools Accessed September 17, 2013
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Frederick County Public Schools, June 27, 2010
- ‘Frederick County Public Schools’, Fiscal Year 2011 Proposed Budget, June 27, 2010
- ‘Frederick County Public Schools’, School Board Meeting Schedule, June 27, 2010
- ‘Frederick County Public Schools’, School Board Meeting Agendas and Board Actions 2009-2010, June 27, 2010
- ‘Frederick County Public Schools’, Contact Us, June 27, 2010
- ‘Frederick Public Schools’, School Board Members, June 27, 2010
- ‘Frederick County Public Schools’, Fast Facts, June 27, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, School, School Division, and State Report Cards, June 27, 2010
- ‘Frederick County, Virginia’, 2009 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, June 27, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- Background checks
- Public Records
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010