Fremont Union High School parcel tax, Measure G (November 2009)
Measure G was a request for voters to approve an extension of the district's annual $98 parcel tax, which was set to expire. The tax level under Measure G could have increased every year depending on the rate of inflation. Unlike the district's previous parcel tax, the Measure G parcel tax would have had no set expiration date.
The existing parcel tax was approved by the district's voters on November 2, 2004. It was approved for a term of six years and was set to expire in 2010.
A 2/3rds supermajority vote was required for approval.
- These final, certified, election results are from the Santa Clara County elections office.
The Mercury News editorialized in favor of Measure G saying, "Because of the vagaries of the state budget, parcel taxes are one of the few ways school districts can raise revenue that they get to keep. Given the Draconian cuts to schools this year, two parcel tax measures on the Nov. 3 ballot — Santa Clara Unified School District's Measure C and Fremont Union High School District's Measure G — are especially deserving of a 'yes' vote."
The question on the ballot:
This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
|Measure G: "To provide stable, local funds needed to protect teaching positions, and assure that Cupertino, Fremont, Homestead, Lynbrook, and Monta Vista High School students are prepared to successfully compete for college admission, shall the Fremont Union High School District replace its existing, expiring parcel tax with a tax at the same annual rate of $98 per parcel to be adjusted annually for inflation, with all funds benefitting local high schools, and offering an exemption to seniors and the disabled?"|
- List of local ballot measures in Santa Clara County in November 2009
- Fremont Union High School District website
- Information about Measure G written by the school district
- CBS 5, "Some In South Bay To Vote On School Parcel Tax," September 29, 2009
- Mercury News, "School parcel tax measures fall short," November 3, 2009
- Mercury News, "Fremont Union district leaders move ahead with parcel tax measure," January 6, 2010
- Mercury News, "Fremont Union district decides to put a parcel tax on May ballot," January 18, 2010
- Mercury News, "Editorial: Parcel taxes in Fremont Union, Santa Clara deserve 'yes' vote," October 7, 2009