|G. Mark Mickelson|
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 13|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Base salary||$6,000/session; $129/day for interim committees|
|Per diem||$110/legislative day|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Mickelson served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Joint Appropriations|
|• Government Operations and Audit|
Mickelson's campaign website highlights the following issues:
Friendly Business Environment
- Excerpt: "Jobs are our lifeblood—good jobs. Our state needs business friendly laws and workable regulations. Individuals and small companies through their free-enterprise activity have spawned many of our area’s largest employers. Among today’s small companies and entrepreneurial individuals are tomorrow’s large employers and wealth creators."
Education Creates Opportunities
- Excerpt: "K-12 and higher education are critical tools for personal as well as economic development. Education is the backbone of democracy. It is also the foundation upon which our citizens build their futures. The number one economic development tool is an educated and trained work-force."
Controlled Spending for a Balanced Budget
- Excerpt: "As a fiscal conservative, I believe in a basic principle that just like South Dakota families, the state must live within its means. Fiscal restraint is the first step towards making sure that citizens of the state remain in control of the bureaucracy. I will work to hold state government accountable and to make certain our tax system is fair and equitable."
Reliable Assistance for Those in Need
- Excerpt: "Even when we do it all right, some will fall through the cracks. A properly designed safety net must be there for the elderly, disabled and displaced. For those of working age without disability the programs must recognize that encouragement and opportunity trump entitlement. Curtailing benefits over time and requiring responsible behavior and productive engagement in our community will offer the best long term prospects for all."
Preserving Our Resources
- Excerpt: "As an avid outdoorsman, I believe in preserving and maintaining our natural resources for future generations."
Elections for the office of South Dakota House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election took place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Kay Wilds was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbents Mark Mickelson and Steve Westra were unopposed in the Republican primary. Mickelson and Westra defeated Wilds in the general election.
|South Dakota House of Representatives, District 13, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Mark Mickelson Incumbent||44%||5,493|
|Republican||Steve Westra Incumbent||33.1%||4,141|
|Source: South Dakota Secretary of State|
Mickelson won election in the 2012 election for South Dakota House of Representatives District 13. Mickelson and Steve Westra defeated Frank Alvine in the Republican primary on June 5. Jesse Vavreck and incumbent Susan Blake ran unopposed in the Democratic primary, but withdrew prior to the general election. Mickelson and Westra were unopposed in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012. Incumbent Brian Liss (R) did not run for re-election.
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 13 Republican Primary, 2012|
|G. Mark Mickelson||53.6%||2,063|
Comprehensive donor information for Mark Mickelson is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Mark Mickelson raised a total of $116,248 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 26, 2013.
|Mark Mickelson's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||South Dakota House of Representatives, District 13||$116,248|
|Grand Total Raised||$116,248|
2012Mark Mickelson won election to the South Dakota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Mark Mickelson raised a total of $116,248.
|South Dakota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Mark Mickelson's campaign in 2012|
|South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association||$2,500|
|Mccahren, Lee Kit||$1,000|
|Schieffer, Brooke D||$1,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$116,248|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.
In 2013, the 88th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 8 to March 25.
- South Dakota Freedom Coalition: South Dakota Freedom Index 2013
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on the "top ten" issues affecting your freedom.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Mark + Mickelson + South + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota House of Representatives
- South Dakota House Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota House of Representatives District 13
- Official campaign website
- Rep. Mickelson's website
- Profile from Open States
- Mark Mickelson on Facebook
- Mark Mickelson on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012
- Mark Mickelson campaign website, "Issues," accessed September 25, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," May 2, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election - Official Results," accessed June 4, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official General Election Results - November 4, 2014," accessed November 12, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official Primary Results," June 25, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Mickelson, G Mark," accessed September 26, 2013
Susan Blake (D)
|South Dakota House of Representatives District 13
| Succeeded by|