Gadsden County Slot Machine Referendum (January 2012)
This measure was approved
- YES 62.04%
- NO 37.96%
This measure sought to allow slot machines at the Creek Entertainment Gretna Racing center which will be opening in the next month. The facility is allowed to have a vote on slots if it has a certain number of events held at the location over a two year period. The main event to be held at the center would be horse barrel racing. Even though this measure got approved, legal challenges are expected. The Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi had stated that the law only permits slots to be in Miami-Dade and Broward counties. The Department of Business and Professional Regulation, the department which would issue a license for gambling for the counties, had stated that it would follow the Attorney General and not issue a license.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Shall slot machines be approved for use at the pari-mutuel horsetrack facility in Gretna, FL?|
- WXTL News, "Continuing Coverage: Summary of Fla. Republican primary results," January 31, 2012
- Sunshine State News, "Gadsden County Puts Slot Machines on Primary Ballot," November 1, 2011
- CBS News, "2 Fla. Panhandle counties voting on slot machines," January 30, 2012 (dead link)
- Gadsden County Elections, January Sample Ballot
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.