Gainesville Transgender Anti-Discrimination Ordinance Referendum (2009)
If it had been approved, it would have overturned the gender identity provision of the 2008 law. The repeal measure would also have prevented the city commission from adding protections beyond what Florida anti-discrimination state statutes require: race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability and marital status.
The newly-upheld ordinance allowed the city's roughly 100 transgender residents to use whichever restroom they are most comfortable using.
The Gainesville city commission approved the restroom provision by a 4-3 vote in the spring of 2008.
|Gainesville Transgender Referendum 2009|
Election results: Associated Press.
Supporters of repeal
The group supporting the repeal was called "Citizens for Good Public Policy." They collected more than 6,000 signatures in the summer of 2008 to put the question on the ballot.
Citizens for Good Public Policy, launched a campaign to put an amendment on the ballot that would repeal not only the city rights for transgender people but also rights for gay, lesbian and bisexual people who had been protected in the city since 1998.
Opponents of repeal
Opponents of the repeal included:
- The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, which says that 108 cities and counties nationwide have similar transgender protections.
- A group called "Equality is Gainesville's Business."
- Kalamazoo Discrimination Protection for Gays Referendum (2009)
- Montgomery County Gender Identity Referendum (2008)
- Equality is Gainesville's Business--supporters of transgender anti-discrimination ordinance
- Citizens for Good Public Policy--opponents of the anti-discrimination ordinance
- Gainesville Sun, "Opponents of Amendment 1 celebrate their big victory, March 25, 2009
- Associated Press', "Fla. conservatives fight transgender restroom rule," January 10, 2009
- Associated Press, "Gainesville, Fla., anti-discrimination laws kept," March 25, 2009
- On Top Magazine, "Voters To Decide Local Pro-Gay Laws," January 7, 2009