Galena Park Independent School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Galena Park Independent School District
Harris County, Texas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Texas
Three seats on the Galena Park Board of Trustees were scheduled to be up for general election on May 10, 2014. Incumbents Wilfred J. Broussard, Jr., June Harris and Dawn Fisher were the only candidates to file by the February 28, 2014 filing deadline. The district canceled elections in April as allowed by state law.
About the districtHouston, the county seat of Harris County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Houston is home to 2,160,821 residents. Galena Park Independent School District is the 56th-largest school district in Texas, serving 21,680 students during the 2010-2011 school year.
Houston outperformed the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.7 percent of Houston residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Houston was $44,648 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Houston was 22.2 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Galena Park Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each member is elected to a specific position but represents the entire district. The election was scheduled for May 10, 2014 but was canceled after the filing deadline. Two seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and two seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Trustees submitted paperwork with the school district secretary by February 28, 2014. Each candidate must be at least 18 years old, a registered voter and a resident of the district for at least six months. Members typically file two campaign finance reports with the district clerk prior to the election unless they have not received or spent $500 during the campaign.
- Wilfred J. Broussard, Jr.
- Owner, Broussard Real Estate Investments
- June Harris
- Sales representative, Stotts and Company, Inc.
- Dawn Fisher
- Legal assistant, Law Office of Dexter Joyner
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
No candidate filed a campaign finance report with the district office.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Galena Park Independent School District election in 2014 prior to cancellation:
|January 29, 2014||First day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|February 28, 2014||Last day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|March 5, 2014||Last day to withdraw from ballot|
|April 10, 2014||Due date for first campaign finance report|
|April 10, 2014||Last day for voter registration with county clerk|
|May 1, 2014||Last day to request mailed ballot from county clerk|
|May 2, 2014||Due date for second campaign finance report|
|May 10, 2014||Election day|
|May 21, 2014||Final day for canvassing of votes|
|July 15, 2014||Last campaign finance report for election|
Additional elections on the ballot
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Galena + Park + Independent + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Galena Park Independent School District, Texas
- Texas school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Harris County, Texas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Texas
- Galena Park Independent School District, "Board Update," April 2013
- Texas Secretary of State, "Election Advisory No. 2013-17," accessed April 7, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Houston, Texas," accessed February 27, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed February 27, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "May 10, 2014 Election Law Calendar," accessed April 7, 2014
- Harris County Elections, "Sample Ballot," accessed April 8, 2014
|2014 Galena Park Independent School District Elections|
|Election date:||May 10, 2014|
|Candidates:||Position 5: • Wilfred J. Broussard, Jr.|
Position 7: • Dawn Fisher
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|