|Last mayoral election:||2013|
|Next mayoral election:||2015|
|Last city council election:||May 10, 2014|
|Next city council election:||2016|
|City council seats:||9|
|2013-14 FY Budget:||$629.1 million|
|Population in 2013:||234,566|
Hispanic or Latino 37.8%
African American 14.5%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone 0.8%
Two or More 3.3%
|Median household income:||$53,060|
|High school graduation rate:||76.8%|
|College graduation rate:||21.6%|
|Related Garland offices|
|Texas Congressional Delegation|
Texas State Legislature
Texas state executive offices
- 1 City government
- 2 Elections
- 3 Budget
- 4 Contact Information
- 5 Ballot Measures
- 6 Lobbying
- 7 Website evaluation
- 8 See Also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
The city of Garland utilizes a council-manager system. In this form of municipal government, an elected city council, which includes the mayor and serves as the city's primary legislative body, appoints a chief executive called a city manager.
The city manager is Garland's chief executive. Appointed by city council, city manager's responsibilities include overseeing the city's day-to-day operations, planning and implementing the city's operating budget, carrying out council policies and hiring most city government employees.
The Garland City Council is the city's primary legislative body. It is responsible for approving and adopting the city budget, levying taxes and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances.
The city council consists of nine members including the mayor. While the mayor is elected at-large, the other eight members are elected by the city's eight districts.
A full list of city council members can be found here.
Boards and commissions
A series of advisory boards and commissions that are made up of non-elected citizens, whom city council members have appointed and approved, advises the Garland City Council. The roles of these boards and commissions are to review, debate and comment upon city policies and legislation and to make recommendations to the city council.
For a full list of Garland's city boards, commissions and committees, see here.
The city of Garland, Texas held elections for city council on May 10, 2014. Four of the eight city council seats were up for election.
Garland's adopted combined budget for fiscal year 2013-14, which includes the general fund, the general obligation debt service fund, the utility funds and the enterprise and grant funds, was $629.1 million.
To contact the mayor and individual members of city council, see here.
- See also: Dallas County, Texas ballot measures
Neither the Garland charter nor city code contains provisions for initiative of ordinances. Charter amendments may be proposed by petition under state law.
In 2013, Garland spent a total of $10,000 on federal lobbying. The city filed four reports for Defense and one report for Transportation.
- The website for Garland Texas includes the names and contact information of all city council members.
- City council meeting agendas and minutes are published.
- Administrative officials is available.
- The current budget is published.
- Information is published for audits and contracts.
- Building permits and zoning information available.
- There is no procedure for requesting public records.
- Contact information is provided for the administrative offices, however the names of the individuals are not provided.
- There is no information on lobbying and tax rates.
- U.S. Census, "State and County Quick Facts," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Government," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "City Manager," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Mayor," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "City Council," accessed on August 18, 2014
- City of Garland, "Boards, Commissions & Committees," accessed on August 25, 2014
- City of Garland 2013-14 Adopted Budget, accessed on September 5, 2014
- Open Secrets, "City of Garland, TX," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "City Council," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Meetings," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Contact," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Budget," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Audits," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Purchasing Dept," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Permits," accessed on September 5, 2014
- City of Garland, "Code of Ordinances," accessed on September 5, 2014