|Cedar Rapids Community School District, At-large|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||September 8, 2009|
|Bachelor's||Winona State University|
Anhalt earned a B.S. in Elementary Education from Winona State University. He taught at Cedar Rapids Community Schools for 40 years before his retirement. Anhalt has also served as a member of the Cedar Rapids Recreation Commission.
Elections for the office of Iowa House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Liz Bennett defeated Gary Anhalt in the Democratic primary and was unchallenged in the general election.
|Iowa House of Representatives, District 65 Democratic Primary, 2014|
Anhalt sought re-election to the Cedar Rapids Board of Education as an at-large member. He ran unopposed in the general election on September 10, 2013.
|Cedar Rapids Community School District, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Gary Anhalt Incumbent||95.9%||2,747|
|Source: Linn County Election Services, "Official Summary Report," September 13, 2013|
Anhalt first won election to the board on September 8, 2009. He ran unopposed for an at-large seat with 23 write-in votes cast.
|Cedar Rapids Community School District, 2009|
In a July 16, 2013 interview with The Gazette, Anhalt cited reduced enrollment, budgetary concerns and modernizing educational techniques as his campaign themes. He also touted his role as the lone opponent of closing Polk Elementary School in 2012.
About the district The Cedar River cuts through the city before connecting with the Iowa River and the Mississippi River.
Cedar Rapids outperforms the rest of Iowa based on median income and higher education achievement while lagging behind the state poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that the median household income in Cedar Rapids is $51,108 compared to $50,451 for Iowa. The percentage of residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees is higher in Cedar Rapids (29.6%) than Iowa (24.9%). Cedar Rapids has a higher poverty rate at 12.6% than the 11.9% rate for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gary + Anhalt + Iowa + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Iowa school districts
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Iowa
- Cedar Rapids Community School District elections (2013)
- Official campaign website
- Gary Anhalt on Facebook
- Gary Anhalt on Twitter
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- District page
- Cedar Rapids Community School, "Gary Anhalt," accessed July 25, 2013 (dead link)
- The Gazette, "Anhalt seeks re-election to Cedar Rapids school board," July 16, 2013
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed June 30, 2014
- The Des Moines Register, "Election2014," accessed November 4, 2014
- Linn County Election Services, "Election Results 1999-2009," accessed July 25, 2013
- U.S.Census, "Quick Facts: Cedar Rapids," accessed July 25, 2013
- Linn County Election Services, "Election Results," accessed July 25, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014