Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Wisconsin, District 4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next primary||August 12, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Wisconsin State Senate, District 6|
George was a Democratic member of the Wisconsin State Senate. He represented the 6th District from 1981 until 2003, when he was recalled from office. He is the second senator to be recalled in state history.
George is running in the 2014 election for the U.S House, representing Wisconsin's 4th District. George is seeking the Democratic nomination in the primary on August 12, 2014. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
The recall campaign against George began after he voted against expanding gambling at the Potawatomi Bingo Casino in Milwaukee. George made appeals to stop or delay the recall to a trial court, appeals court and state Supreme Court, but he was unsuccessful at all levels. Signatures were first filed to the elections board in June 2003.
George was defeated in a special Democratic primary held October 21, 2003, by state Assemblyman Spencer Coggs. Only 8% of voters turned out for the election. Coggs went on to be the only candidate on the November 18 general election ballot, assuring his victory.
| Wisconsin State Senate, District 6|
Special Democratic Primary (2003)
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Gary + George + Wisconsin + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Wisconsin's 4th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Wisconsin's 4th Congressional District
- Recall campaigns in Wisconsin
- Laws governing recall in Wisconsin
- State legislative recalls
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Candidates Registered by Office," accessed June 3, 2014
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, "Both sides targeting state senators for recall elections," February 19, 2011
- Channel 3000, "Gary George Beaten By Coggs In Recall Election," October 20, 2003
- Channel 3000, "Elections Board To Discuss George Recall Petitions," July 8, 2003"
- Wisconsin State Elections Board, "Special Democratic Primary Election Results," accessed May 23, 2011