|U.S. House, Alabama, District 6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Alabama|
Palmer earned a BS in Operations Management from the University of Alabama. He also received an honorary doctorate from the University of Mobile. Palmer spent 24 years as the leader of the Alabama Policy Institute (API), an research organization whose purpose is "to identify, develop and promote sound public policies that emphasize a limited government, free markets, the rule of law and strong families." Palmer also served on Governor Robert Bentley's Alabama Commission on Improving State Government.
Palmer's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Excerpt: "The problem with Obamacare is not the website or the rollout. The problem with Obamacare is what it’s trying to impose upon the American people. For the first time in our nation’s history you are being forced to buy a government product -- or pay a penalty."
- National Debt
- Excerpt: "Most career politicians don’t want to talk about the debt. Most Americans don’t realize how deep in debt we are as a nation, or how fast it has escalated under this President, and so politicians aren’t held accountable for it. But it’s absolutely critical for people to understand it. Our national debt now exceeds $17.2 trillion and we are going deeper in debt by the minute. Yet the Obama Administration and Congress refuse to adequately address the problem and instead continue to spend."
- Excerpt: "Common Core is a nation-wide effort that claims to ensure that our future labor force is prepared to compete in the competitive global economy. Common Core is a national framework of goals and assessments (tests) being promoted by the National Governor’s Association working in conjunction with state school administrators and private foundations. It seeks to establish a national framework for nationally unified curriculum standards. It sounds reasonable in its intent. However, what it will produce, according to national policy experts, is essentially a unified, national curriculum for America’s local schools."
- Right to Life
- Excerpt: "Life is sacred, it is granted by God and protected by the Constitution. It is the duty of government to protect the right to life. I will vote to protect the right to life."
- Excerpt: "The federal government doesn’t have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem. Raising taxes is not the answer. I will not support a tax increase."
Palmer is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Alabama's 6th District. Palmer and Paul DeMarco advanced past the Republican primary on June 3, 2014, and will face off in the runoff election on July 15, 2014. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
|U.S. House, Alabama District 6 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Source: Alabama Secretary of State|
For a full list of Palmer's endorsements, click here.
|Gary Palmer (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|Year-End||January 31, 2014||$0||$256,550||$(6,822)||$249,727|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$249,727||$148,445||$(213,607)||$184,564|
|Pre-Primary||May 22, 2014||$184,564||$228,610||$(268,392)||$144,782|
|Pre-Runoff||July 3, 2014||$144,782||$344,965||$(351,583)||$138,164|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gary + Palmer + Alabama + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Alabama's 6th Congressional District elections, 2014
- Alabama's 6th Congressional District
- Abc3340, "List of qualifying candidates for major and local Alabama offices," February 7, 2014
- Campaign website, "Meet Gary," accessed February 11, 2014
- Campaign website, "Issues," accessed February 11, 2014
- Politico, "2014 Alabama House Primaries Results," June 3, 2014
- Al.com, "Chad Mathis becomes 3rd former primary opponent to endorse Gary Palmer in 6th District race," June 24, 2014
- Palmer for Congress, "Endorsements," accessed July 7, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Gary Palmer Year-End," accessed February 4, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Gary Palmer April Quarterly," accessed April 29, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Gary Palmer Pre-Primary," accessed June 2, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Gary Palmer Pre-Runoff," accessed July 7, 2014
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|