Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund
|Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund|
"To change the face and voice of America's politics and achieve equality for LGBT Americans by increasing the number of openly LGBT officials at all levels of government."
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund was founded on May 1, 1991. Inspired by the election of Ann Richards in the Texas gubernatorial election of 1990 and her use of EMILY's List funds to power her election victory, Dallas gay-rights activist William Waybourn and Human Rights Campaign Fund Executive Director Vic Basile began planning an organization that would employ EMILY's List methodology-- early money given sufficiently transforms "qualified candidates from 'fringe' status to 'front-runners'"-- to propel gay and lesbian candidates to elected office.
In the fall of 1991, Sherry Harris defeated a 24 year incumbent to win a seat on the Seattle City Council, becoming both the first candidate endorsed and supported by the Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund, and the first to win election.
During its first full election cycle, the Victory Fund raised more that $263,000 and supported 12 candidates, 6 of whom were victorious. By 2003, Victory Fund revenue was $1.5 million and increased to over $5 million in 2011.
The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund has endorsed the following candidates in the 2014 election:
- Bonnie Dumanis
- Sean Eldridge (NY-19)
- Mary Gonzalez (TX House D75)
- Celia Israel (TX House D50)
- Steve Kerrigan (MA-Lt Gov)
- Sean Patrick Maloney (NY-18)
- Mike Michaud (ME-Gov)
- Kyrsten Sinema (AZ-9)
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Gay + Lesbian + Victory + Fund"
- All stories may not be relevant to this organization due to the nature of the search engine.
- Victory Fund urged lawmaker to remain in closet: report - Washington Blade
- White House Now Touts Diversity of Appointees - Wall Street Journal (blog)
- Walling Wins Victory Fund Endorsement - Metro Weekly
- Emma Wolfe on being an organizer - Capital New York
- What Are the Emerging Funding Challenges for International LGBTI Activists and ... - AllAfrica.com
- Many Hurdles Ahead for Transgender Rights Movement - SouthFloridaGayNews.com
- Rob Bennett for the de Blasio Transition Committee - Capital New York
- Transgender Rights '20 Years Behind' Gay Rights Due To Smaller Population - Towleroad
- Moral Courage TV: Kevin Santiago - Daily Beast
- Life in the Shadow of Lawrence - Daily Beast