|Illinois House of Representatives, District 37|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Governors State University|
Smith graduated from Governors State University. Her professional experience includes working in the automation field in the insurance and construction industry.
Smith's official website highlights the following issues:
Workman's compensation reform
- Excerpt: "Illinois carries the 3rd highest Work Comp rates in the nation. We are strangling small business owners with these ridiculous insurance prices. Illinois’ work comp rates are 3 to 4 times higher than Indiana. Fraud and abuse are rampant in Illinois. This issue must be addressed, and reforms must be put into place to help our small business partners."
- Excerpt: "When the Illinois legislature voted to increase our income taxes in 2011 from 3% to 5%, the law was written to sunset on January 1, 2015 dropping down to 3.85%. Illinois politicians are already trying to pass laws to make the tax increase permanent. They want to stick us with the bill for their inability to manage the pension system and the state. This is incomprehensible."
- Excerpt: "Illinois residents should be able to see where their tax dollars are spent. Information about awarded Government contracts and State Grants funds should be easily available to the average taxpayer."
- Excerpt: "The $100 Billion Unfunded Pension Liability problem continues to haunt Illinois taxpayers. Illinois politicians have been kicking this can down the road for years and years. We need serious reform. The growing pension boondoggle will not be fixed with minor ‘bandaid’ legislation. Current rules allow public sector workers to collect several pensions at retirement. No reform will be complete until this is eliminated. I would like to see the pension system completely phased out and replaced with traditional 401K investment instruments. This allows portability and individual ownership for the employee. It’s better for the worker, and more sustainable for the state of Illinois. Our State pension system is only 39% funded. A healthy pension fund should be at least 80% funded."
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on March 18, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. August (O'Neill) Deuser will face Nichole Serbin in the Democratic primary, while Margo McDermed will face Gayla Smith and Arthur Lukowski in the Republican primary.
Smith and her family live in Frankfort, Il.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gayla + Smith + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |