|North Carolina State Senate, District 25|
|January 1, 2013 - present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
McLaurin is the president of the Swink-Quality Oil Company.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, McLaurin served on the following committees:
|North Carolina Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture/Environment/Natural Resources|
|• Appropriations on Natural and Economic Resources|
|• Pensions & Retirement & Aging|
|• State and Local Government|
McLaurin's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Re-building the economy
- Excerpt:"My belief in rebuilding our economy is built on the premise that our education and business systems are intimately tied together. We must invest in our public schools, community colleges, and university system in order to create a more robust stream of talent to fuel 21st century jobs. "
Comprehensive economic development
- Excerpt:"We need a comprehensive approach to our state's economic development. This means bringing together our leaders in business, industry, finance, education and government to focus on developing emerging and innovative sectors. We must recruit specific industries – not just individual companies. We need to meet today's challenges while retaining the opportunities for future generations."
Investing in education
- Excerpt:"I will be a champion for early education, our public schools, our community colleges and our university system to give more people and our state a better shot at economic prosperity over future decades."
- Excerpt:"I fully support the expansion of pre-K to all those children who, through no fault of their own, deserve and have the right to that education. "
- Excerpt:"I will advocate education policies that give our local school systems greater flexibility and encourage innovative approaches to teaching and learning. But with greater flexibility and independence must come improved accountability. I will expect a proper return on our investment -- holding school systems, administrators and educators responsible for their performance."
Elections for the office of North Carolina State Senate will consist of a primary election on May 6, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 28, 2014. Incumbent Gene McLaurin is unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Tom McInnis is unopposed in the Republican primary. P.H. Dawkins is running as a Libertarian candidate.
McLaurin ran in the 2012 election for North Carolina State Senate District 25. He defeated Daniel Wilson in the Democratic primary on May 8. He defeated Gene McIntyre (R) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|North Carolina State Senate, District 25, General Election, 2012|
|North Carolina State Senate District 25 Democratic Primary, 2012|
Comprehensive donor information for McLaurin is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, McLaurin raised a total of $277,832 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 28, 2013.
|Gene McLaurin's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||North Carolina State Senate, District 25||$277,832|
|Grand Total Raised||$277,832|
2012McLaurin won election to the North Carolina State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, McLaurin raised a total of $277,832.
|North Carolina State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Gene McLaurin's campaign in 2012|
|North Carolina Democratic Party||$114,461|
|Mclaurin II, Eugene Bertram||$13,297|
|North Carolina Petroleum Marketers Association||$6,000|
|North Carolina Association of Realtors||$5,500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$277,832|
|Source:Follow the Money|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Gene + McLaurin + North Carolina + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Carolina State Senate
- Senate Committees
- North Carolina General Assembly
- Joint Committees
- North Carolina state legislative districts
- Official campaign website
- Profile from the North Carolina State Senate
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Gene McLaurin on Facebook
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- North Carolina General Assembly, legislative profile, retrieved February 5, 2013
- genemclaurin.com - On the Issues
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Primary Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed March 7, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "General Election Candidate List Grouped by Contest," accessed March 7, 2014
- North Carolina State Board of Elections, "Primary Results, 2012," accessed April 15, 2014
- North Carolina Board of Elections "Candidate lists," accessed March 5, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "McLaurin II, Eugene Bertram" Accessed August 28, 2013
|North Carolina State Senate District 25
| Succeeded by|