For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, will be limited. Select races will be covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|U.S. House, Arizona, District 8|
|Bachelor's||University of Michigan, 1969|
|Date of birth||February 14, 1947|
|Place of birth||Mount Clemens, MI|
Scharer's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Economy & Employment
- Excerpt: "Let me say that again: If we continue down this path for a few more years, America will be in 1928. This is not a scare tactic or a joke. This is exactly what happened in 1928 and it will happen again. American’s cannot give any more without giving up the engine that drives the economy."
- Excerpt: "As a 22-year public high school teacher I am very pro-public education. As a youngster I attended an old-fashioned one-room school and I am a firm believer in our traditional system of public education. Public education is one of the pillars of our democracy, the friend of the working class and a great unifying force in our society, but now it's under attack."
- Environment & Energy
- Excerpt: "The simultaneous destruction of the world's great forests and the wanton production of greenhouse gases is causing global warming and climate change, a threat to countless species, including our own. Therefore our goal must be to cut greenhouse gas emissions and move our energy system away from fossil fuels and into energy efficiency and renewable energy."
- Immigration & Border Security
- Excerpt: "In summary, immigration reform can be corrected without being inhuman and while still protecting America. The politicians do not want to fix it because this issue is used as a distraction to trick you into voting based on your emotions rather than facts. In the past, this trickery was less obvious, but now that illegal migration has stopped, the hysterical politicians are exposed as manipulative vote grabbers."
- Luke Air Force Base
- Excerpt: "Luke is vital to our nation’s defense and to our state and local economy. Luke is home to the nation’s largest fighter wing and its only F-16 pilot training base. This fall the Air Force will roll out its 5th generation stealth fighter, the F-35 Lightning Joint Strike Fighter and Luke has been chosen to be its pilot training site. With this new mission, Luke seems assured of being around for years to come."
Scharer ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Arizona's 8th District. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 28, 2012. He lost to incumbent Trent Franks (R) in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|U.S. House, Arizona District 8 General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Trent Franks Incumbent||63.3%||172,809|
|Source: Arizona Secretary of State "Official Election Results, 2012 General Election"|
|U.S. House, Arizona District 8, 2012 - Gene Scharer Campaign Contributions|
|Total Raised by Election Winner||$376,998|
|Total Spent by Election Winner||$354,105|
|Top contributors to Gene Scharer's campaign committee|
|Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers||$5,000|
|United Auto Workers||$1,000|
|Top 5 industries that contributed to campaign committee|
Scharer and his wife, Victoria, have two children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Gene + Scharer + Arizona + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Arizona's 8th Congressional District
- Arizona's 8th Congressional District elections, 2012
- United States House of Representatives