|Virginia Senate District 39|
|2008 - Present|
|January 11, 2016|
|Years in position||5|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 8, 2011|
|Next election||November 3, 2015|
|Place of birth||Eldorado, IL|
Barker received a A.B at Harvard College and M.S. at Harvard University. Barker is a health planner.
In the 2012-2013 legislative session, Barker served on the following committees:
In the 2010-2011 legislative session, Barker served on the following committees:
- Education and Health
- General Laws and Technology
- Privileges and Elections
- Rehabilitation and Social Services
Barker's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "Transportation remains a top priority for our region. Leaving our needs unaddressed is damaging to our economy and quality of life, while traffic continues to clog our highways and slow our economic progress."
- Excerpt: "Senator Barker has opposed BRAC and its negative effects on our community since before he was elected to the Senate. As chair of Fairfax County's Transportation Advisory Commission, he helped get the Army to reduce by half the number of people at the old Engineering Proving Ground in Springfield."
- Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "George is working with leaders from both parties to create jobs and investment opportunities."
- Excerpt: "George works hard for Virginia veterans, and has passed several pieces of legislation aimed at strengthening our veteran community."
- Protecting Our Communities
- Excerpt: "Senator Barker wants to ensure that our communities remain safe and enjoyable places to live. He passed a major piece of legislation in 2011 that permits those in dating relationships and others beyond immediate family to seek protective orders when violence or harm is threatened."
- Health Care
- Excerpt: "Serving on the Education and Health Committee and the Joint Commission on Health Care, George is working to control health care costs, improve quality and outcomes, and make health care accessible for Virginia families."
- Excerpt: "We take pride in the caliber of our public schools, and our children have benefited immensely from the school systems we have in Northern Virginia."
- The Environment
- Excerpt: "Protecting our environment is one of Senator Barker's top priorities, and and he is an avid supporter of energy conservation."
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
|Virginia State Senate, District 39 General Election, 2011|
|Democratic||George Barker Incumbent||53.2%||21,201|
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2007
Baker raised $976,911 for his campaign while O'Brien raised $893,431.
|Virginia State Senate, District 39 (2007)|
|George Barker (D)||19,892||50.92%|
|J.K. "Jay" O'Brien (R)||19,131||48.97%|
In 2011, Barker received $1,279,268 in campaign donations. The top contributors are listed below.
|Virginia State Senate 2011 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to George Barker's campaign in 2011|
|Virginia Democratic Party||$593,178|
|Virginia Senate Democratic Caucus||$196,755|
|Bloomberg, Michael R||$25,000|
|Virginia Professional Firefighters Cope Fund||$12,000|
|Saslaw For Senate||$10,000|
|Total Raised in 2011||$1,279,268|
|Total Votes received in 2011||21,201|
|Cost of each vote received||$60.34|
Below are Barker's top five campaign contributors in the 2007 election:
|Democratic Party of Virginia||$281,419|
|Virginia Senate Democratic Caucus||$76,900|
|Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee||$50,000|
|Moving Virginia Forward||$50,000|
Barker was born in Eldorado, Illinois on August 24, 1951. Barker is a member of the Fairfax Presbyterian church.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "George + Barker + Virginia + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Va. mental health admission law out of step with other states - WTOP
- Teesside University graduates: Teesside University Business School - Gazette Live
- Tea Party Republicans Backed By Big Corporate Players Following Shutdown - Huffington Post
- New Tax Return Shows Karl Rove's Group Spent Even More On Politics Than It ... - Huffington Post
- A 31-Year-Old Is Tearing Apart the Heritage Foundation - The New Republic
- US Government Financed Mob Controlled Reno Casinos in the 1940's - SBWire (press release)
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Sen. Barker's website
- Biography from the Virginia Legislature
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions:2007
- ↑ Virginia State Board of Elections - November 2011 General Election Official Results
- ↑ Washington Examiner "Democrats boost spending in N.Va. Senate races," October 29, 2011
- ↑ 2007 Election Results, Virginia Senate, District 39
- ↑ 2007 Campaign Spending, Virginia Senate, District 39
- ↑ Follow the Money - 2011 contributions
|Virginia Senate District 39
| Succeeded by|