|U.S. House, New York, District 1|
|J.D.||Fordham Law School|
Demos has earned the following academic degrees:
- B.A. in political science from Columbia University
- J.D. from Fordham Law School
Demos has served in the following positions:
- Intern at the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office in Riverhead
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Enforcement Attorney (2002-2009)
—George Demos, 
The 1st Congressional District of New York held an election for the U.S. House of Representatives on November 4, 2014. Incumbent Tim Bishop (D) was defeated by Lee Zeldin (R), switching the partisan control of the seat from Democratic to Republican. Bishop ran uncontested in the Democratic, Working Families and Independence Party primaries on June 24, 2014. Zeldin defeated George Demos in the Republican primary, and also ran uncontested for the Conservative Party nomination.
New York's 1st was considered a battleground district in 2014. Bishop had been in office for 10 years, but in 2012 he won re-election by a mere 4.6 percent margin of victory. The 2012 presidential elections leaned Democratic as well, but President Barack Obama won the district by only 0.5 percent. Bishop's seat was viewed as vulnerable by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC), and Bishop was a member of their Frontline Program to protect vulnerable incumbents. Zeldin received help from his party as well, as the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) added him to their "On the Radar" list.
|U.S. House, New York District 1 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Source: New York State Board of Elections - Official Election Results|
Demos' endorsements included:
- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani
- Giuliani endorsed George Demos on March 7, 2014.
- In a statement released by the Demos campaign, Giuliani called the candidate “a fiscal conservative who says what he believes and believes what he says.” Giuliani stated, “as a former prosecutor, he knows the good guys from the bad. He will rattle the cages of the establishment. He’ll make a difference. And George would never support Obamacare. His voice will be heard in the halls of Congress, and I predict, throughout America...I am impressed with George, his passion, his intellect, and his integrity. I am proud to endorse his candidacy and prouder still to call him a friend. George Demos is one of us. And it’s time for George Demos for Congress."
- Former Gov. George Pataki
- Both the U.S. Jobs Council and the American Action Network released campaign ads accusing Demos of taking money from Democratic House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
|George Demos (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|October Quarterly||October 3, 2013||$0.00||$1,000,000.00||$(0.00)||$1,000,000.00|
|Year End||January 31, 2014||$1,000,000.00||$1,201,510.00||$(149,121.80)||$2,052,388.20|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$2,052,388.20||$35,245.00||$(815,686.22)||$1,271,946.98|
**Included in the total contributions were two personal loans from George Demos: $1 million incurred on November 9, 2013, and $1 million incurred on December 30, 2013.
Demos is the son-in-law of Angelo K. Tsakopoulos. Tsakopoulos is a major Democratic donor and the chairman of AKT Development Corporation, a real estate firm.
Demos and his wife, Chrysa, live in Stony Brook, New York, with their son, Angelo. Demos attends a Greek Orthodox Church.
- United States House of Representatives
- New York's 1st Congressional District elections, 2014
- New York's 1st Congressional District
- Green Papers, "NY District 1," accessed September 30, 2013
- Associated Press, "New York - Summary Vote Results," accessed June 24, 2014
- Wall Street Journal, "Demos quits GOP primary for congressional seat," May 25, 2012
- George Demos for Congress, "Meet George: A Biography," accessed May 24, 2014
- George Demos for U.S. Congress, "Issues," accessed April 7, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Wayback Machine, "George Demos for Congress - Issues," accessed April 7, 2014
- NY State of Politics, "Giuliani Joins Pataki In Backing Demos Over Zeldin (Updated)," accessed March 121, 2014
- LI News Radio, "Mayor Rudy Giuliani Endorses George Demos for Congress," accessed March 11, 2014
- Politico, "George Pataki backs Tim Bishop challenger," accessed October 11, 2013
- YouTube, "Integrity and Character," accessed April 22, 2014
- YouTube, "Demos for Congress TV Ad: 'Seen It All'," accessed May 23, 2014
- NY State of Politics, "A Super PAC Slams Demos," accessed April 22, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "George Demos Summary Report," accessed June 26, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "George Demos October Quarterly," accessed April 8, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "George Demos Year End," accessed April 8, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "George Demos April Quarterly," accessed April 24, 2014
- Roll Call, "Wealthy Republican Candidates Seek House," accessed October 29, 2013
State of New York
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Superintendent of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Conservation | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
New York Supreme Court | Trial Court | Supreme Court, Appellate Division | Civil Courts | County Courts | Surrogate Courts | Family Courts | Civil Courts | Court of Statewide Claims | Town Courts | Village Courts | City Civil Court | City Criminal Court | District Court Nassau & Suffolk | City Courts (Outside New York City) | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |