Georgetown Independent School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Georgetown Independent School District
Williamson County, Texas ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Texas
Two seats on the Georgetown Board of Trustees were up for general election on May 10, 2014. Incumbent Fred Barhydt won re-election to the Place 4 seat without opposition. Melanie Dunham defeated fellow challenger Francis Jackson for the Place 5 seat held by Mike Hewlett, who did not file for re-election.
About the districtGeorgetown, a city located in Williamson County, Texas. According to the United States Census Bureau, Georgetown is home to 52,303 residents. Georgetown Independent School District is the 99th-largest school district in Texas, serving 10,397 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
Georgetown outperformed the rest of Texas in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 39.6 percent of Georgetown residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.3 percent for Texas as a whole. The median household income in Georgetown was $62,977 compared to $51,563 for the state of Texas. The poverty rate in Georgetown was 9.1 percent compared to 17.4 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Georgetown Board of Trustees consists of seven members elected to three-year terms. Each member is elected to a specific seat but represents the entire district. There was no primary election and a general election took place on May 10, 2014. Two seats will be on the ballot in May 2015 and three seats will be up for election in May 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Trustees submitted paperwork with the school district secretary by February 28, 2014. Each candidate must be at least 18 years old, a registered voter and a resident of the district for at least six months. Members filed two campaign finance reports with the district clerk prior to the election unless they did not receive or spend $500 during the campaign.
- Fred Barhydt
- Graduate, University of Kansas and Florida Institute of Technology
- Regional product line manager, Dell
|Georgetown Independent School District, Place 5 General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Source: Williamson County Elections, "Final Unofficial Election Day Results Includes Early Voting ," May 10, 2014|
Note: Fred Barhydt won re-election without opposition and did not appear on the ballot.
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
Candidates reported a total of $2,640.00 and spent a total of $1,320.22 prior to the election, according to the district office.
In the Place 4 race, candidates did not report any contributions or expenditures.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
In the Place 5 race, candidates raised a total of $2,640.00 and spent a total of $1,320.22.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Georgetown Independent School District election in 2014:
|January 29, 2014||First day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|February 28, 2014||Last day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|March 5, 2014||Last day to withdraw from ballot|
|April 10, 2014||Due date for first campaign finance report|
|April 10, 2014||Last day for voter registration with county clerk|
|May 1, 2014||Last day to request mailed ballot from county clerk|
|May 2, 2014||Due date for second campaign finance report|
|May 10, 2014||Election day|
|May 21, 2014||Final day for canvassing of votes|
|July 15, 2014||Last campaign finance report for election|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Board of Trustees election shared the ballot with the mayoral race in Georgetown.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Georgetown + Independent + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Georgetown Independent School District, Texas
- Texas school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Williamson County, Texas ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Texas
- United States Census Bureau, "Georgetown, Texas," accessed February 28, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "Historical Election Results," accessed February 28, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Georgetown Independent School District, "Board Election Procedures," accessed March 24, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "May 10, 2014 Election Law Calendar," accessed March 18, 2014
- Information submitted to Ballotpedia through e-mail from Carmen Domel on April 17, 2014.
- Williamson County Elections, "Joint General and Special Election," May 16, 2013
- Georgetown, Texas, "Voter Information," accessed March 24, 2014
|2014 Georgetown Independent School District Elections|
|Election date:||May 10, 2014|
|Candidates:||Place 4: • Fred Barhydt|
Place 5: • Melanie Dunham • Francis Jackson
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|