Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner
|Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$21,191,813|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||Georgia Code, 33-2-1|
|Assumed office:||January 10, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other Georgia Executive Offices|
|Governor•Lieutenant Governor•Secretary of State•Attorney General•Treasurer•Auditor•Superintendent of Schools•Agriculture Commissioner•Insurance Commissioner•Natural Resources Commissioner•Labor Commissioner•Public Service Commission|
The current commissioner is Ralph Hudgens, a Republican, who was first elected on November 2, 2010. He took office on January 10, 2011 and will come up for re-election, if he chooses to run, in November 2014.
Before becoming commissioner, Hudgens was a member of the Georgia State Senate from 2003 to 2011. Prior to his Senate election, he was a member of the Georgia House of Representatives from 1997 to 2002. Hudgens has two decades of experience working in the private sector, including as the founder of Quality Propane, Inc., which he sold in 1987.
Georgia Code, 33-2-1
There is created the Insurance Department of the State of Georgia. The chief officer of such department shall be the Commissioner of Insurance.
- Have been a citizen of the U.S. for 10 years
- A legal resident of Georgia for four years
- 25 years old
(a) No person shall be eligible to the office of the Secretary of State, Attorney General, State School Superintendent, Commissioner of Insurance, Commissioner of Agriculture, or Commissioner of Labor unless such person shall have been a citizen of the United States for ten years and a legal resident of the state for four years immediately preceding election or appointment and shall have attained the age of 25 years by the date of assuming office. All of said officers shall take such oath and give bond and security, as prescribed by law, for the faithful discharge of their duties.
The commissioner is elected "at the same time and hold[s] [his] office for the same term as the Governor."
The Secretary of State, Attorney General, State School Superintendent, Commissioner of Insurance, Commissioner of Agriculture, and Commissioner of Labor shall be elected in the manner prescribed for the election of members of the General Assembly and the electors shall be the same. Such executive officers shall be elected at the same time and hold their offices for the same term as the Governor.
There are no term limits for the office of insurance commissioner.
If a vacancy occurs, the governor fills it, subject to confirmation by a majority vote of the Georgia Senate. Vacancy procedures are laid out in Article V, Section 2, Paragraph VIII of the Georgia Constitution.
The commissioner is administrative head of the Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner, which both regulates the state's insurance industry and oversees state fire safety initiatives.
- Administrative Procedures
- Agents Licensing
- Computer Services
- Consumer Services
- Life and Health
- Industrial Loan
- Premium Tax
- Property and Casualty
- Public Education
- Media Relations
- Regulatory Services
- Safety Fire Division
- Safety Fire Engineering and Inspections
- Safety Fire Hazardous Materials
- Safety Fire Health and Human Service
- Safety Fire Manufactured Housing
The budget for the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance in Fiscal Year 2013 was $21,191,813.
In 2010, the commissioner received a salary of $120,394.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Georgia + Insurance + Commissioner
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Georgia insurance commissioner: It's 'your fault' if you have a pre-existing ... - Raw Story
- Insurance Commissioner Compares Pre-Existing Conditions To Car Wrecks: 'It's ... - ThinkProgress
- Georgia Insurance Commissioner Says Obamacare Will Collapse - WJBF-TV
- Obama Fix Gives State Insurance Regulators Tough Choices - Wall Street Journal (blog)
- GA Insurance Commissioner to Address CSRA Republican Women's Club - WJBF-TV
- Georgia insurance carriers already renewing current health plans - 13WMAZ
- Congressman seeks clean bill of health on 'Obamacare' coverage claims - PolitiFact
- GA Insurance Comm. issues Obamacare warning - WALB-TV
- Bibb-Monroe border dispute pops up in murder case - Macon Telegraph (blog)
- McCumber: Politics parts ways with reality - The Advocate
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
Two Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
West Tower, Suite 704
Atlanta, GA 30334
Phone: (404) 656-2070
Fax: (404) 657-8542