For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Georgia SOS initiates check-in process for voters
ATLANTA, Georgia: Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp announced on Thursday, May 6, 2010, the creation of a pilot project that will use the bar code on the back of the voter’s Georgia driver’s license or state identification card to check-in those who cast their ballot in person on Election Day. The project will not only "eliminate the need to manually look up every voter in the poll book," but, more importantly, will create a more efficient and accurate way in which to run the voter check-in process.
Much of the usual check-in process throughout the state, however, will remain the same. Individuals casting ballots on Election Day will still be required to complete a voter's certificate at each of the respective polling locations. Furthermore, poll workers are directed by state law to check each voter's photo identification to ensure that it matches the voter.
The inauguration of the bar code scanners took place on Tuesday, May 11, 2010, in Bartow County for use in the Georgia House District 12 Special Election. The scanners are being used on an interim basis at this point, but may be used regularly if the testing process proves successful.
Kemp was appointed as Georgia Secretary of State by Governor Sonny Perdue in January 2010 to fill the vacancy left behind by Republican Karen Handel following her resignation to work full time on her gubernatorial campaign.
- Candidates for Secretary of State, 2010
- Georgia Secretary of State election, 2010
- Secretary of State elections, 2010
- The Weekly, "Secretary of State Kemp Announces Pilot Project to Check in Voters with Driver’s License Bar Code Scanner" 6 May, 2010 (dead link)
- Athens Banner-Herald, "Brian Kemp appointed Georgia secretary of state" 4 Jan. 2010
- Red State, "Karen Handel Aims to Win the GOP Gubernatorial Nomination in Georgia" 22 Dec. 2009