Georgia State Senate District 35
|Georgia State Senate District 35|
|Current incumbent||Donzella James|
|Ethnicity||72.4% Black, 6.3% Hispanic|
|Voting age||71.2% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 214,483 civilians reside within Georgia's thirty-fifth state senate district. Georgia state senators represent an average of 172,994 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 157,437 residents.
About the chamber
According to the Georgia Constitution, Georgia Senators must be at least 25 years old, American citizens, Georgia citizens for at least two years and a resident of his or her Senatorial District for at least one year immediately preceding election.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Georgia legislature are paid $17,342/year plus $173/day for per diem when in session.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the vacant seat must be filled by a special election. The Governor must declare a special election no later than 10 days after the vacancy happened. The election must be held no less than 30 days and no later than 60 days after the Governor calls for the election. The counties representing the vacant district are responsible for conducting the election.
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Georgia State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on May 20, 2014 with a runoff election taking place where necessary on July 22, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Incumbent Donzella J. James was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Francisco X.R. Artley was unopposed in the Republican primary. James defeated Artley in the general election.
|Georgia State Senate, District 35 General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Donzella James Incumbent||74.8%||36,530|
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Georgia State Senate consisted of a primary election on July 31, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 25, 2012. Incumbent Donzella James (D) was unopposed in the general election. She defeated Detrius Hill Jones and Cory J. Lynch in the Democratic primary. A total of $39,966 was raised by 2012 candidates in the district, with James outraising Lynch by a margin of $21,275 to $13,475.
|Georgia State Senate, District 35, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Donzella James Incumbent||100%||59,430|
|Georgia State Senate, District 35 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Donzella James Incumbent||74.8%||10,293|
|Cory J. Lynch||13.2%||1,811|
|Detrius Hill Jones||12.1%||1,661|
Since 2000, candidates for Georgia State Senate District 35 have raised a total of $781,008. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $43,389 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Georgia State Senate District 35|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- publicmapping.org, "Georgia 2010 Census Statistics," accessed September 25, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Lexis Nexis, "The Code of Georgia," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute, 21-2-544, Search for 21-2-544 under Table of Contents)
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 10, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed May 28, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed November 13, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed November 16, 2012
- Georgia Elections Division, "2012 Election Results" accessed November 16, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Georgia 2012 Senate Candidates," accessed November 26, 2013