Georgia State Senate District 56
|Georgia State Senate District 56|
|Current incumbent||John Albers|
|Ethnicity||16.1% Black, 11.7% Hispanic|
|Voting age||75.0% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 160,877 civilians reside within Georgia's fifty-sixth state senate district. Georgia state senators represent an average of 172,994 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 157,437 residents.
About the chamber
According to the Georgia Constitution, Georgia Senators must be at least 25 years old, American citizens, Georgia citizens for at least two years and a resident of his or her Senatorial District for at least one year immediately preceding election.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Georgia legislature are paid $17,342/year plus $173/day for per diem when in session.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the vacant seat must be filled by a special election. The Governor must declare a special election no later than 10 days after the vacancy happened. The election must be held no less than 30 days and no later than 60 days after the Governor calls for the election. The counties representing the vacant district are responsible for conducting the election.
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Georgia State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014; a runoff election will take place where necessary on July 22, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Akhtar Sadiq is unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent John E. Albers is unopposed in the Republican primary. Sadig will face Albers in the general election.
- See also: Georgia State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of Georgia State Senate consisted of a primary election on July 31, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was May 25, 2012. Incumbent John Albers (R) defeated Akhtar Sadiq (D) in the general election. Neither candidate faced opposition in their primary. A total of $148,963 was raised by 2012 candidates in the district, with Albers outraising Sadiq by a margin of $139,174 to $9,789.
|Georgia State Senate, District 56, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||John Albers Incumbent||67.3%||48,145|
Since 2000, candidates for Georgia State Senate District 56 have raised a total of $1,079,135. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $98,103 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Georgia State Senate District 56|
- publicmapping.org, "Georgia 2010 Census Statistics," accessed September 25, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Lexis Nexis, "The Code of Georgia," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute, 21-2-544, Search for 21-2-544 under Table of Contents)
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 10, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "GA - Election Results," accessed May 28, 2014
- Georgia Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed November 16, 2012
- Georgia Elections Division, "2012 Election Results" accessed November 16, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Georgia 2012 Senate Candidates," accessed November 26, 2013