Gerald L. "Tap" Heikes
|Gerald L. "Tap" Heikes|
|Date of primary||August 19, 2014|
|Governor of Alaska|
|Birthday||May 14, 1953|
- See also: Alaska Gubernatorial election, 2014
Parnell has so far drawn two primary challengers, Gerald L. "Tap" Heikes and Brad Snowden. A slew of other candidates have also launched campaigns for the August 19 primary and November 4 general elections, including Democrats Byron Mallott and Phil Stoddard, in addition to several third party and independent hopefuls.
Republican, Democratic, Alaskan Independence and Libertarian Party candidates are not required to petition to appear on the ballot in Alaska. Since its establishment in 2010, the Alaska Constitution Party has been classified as a Political Group and has never produced a viable candidate for Governor. This year, Constitution Party Chairman J.R. Myers wants to change that; Myers must collect 3,017 valid petition signatures by August 19 for a place on the November ballot. If he earns a minimum of 3% of the 2014 general election vote, the Constitution Party will be reclassified from a Political Group to a Political Party and share the same ballot access privileges as the exiting four qualified parties. The Alaska Constitution Party was previously affiliated with the Alaskan Independence Party, of which Myers served two years as Vice Chairman.
A Public Policy Poll from May 2014 showed Parnell leading three potential general election opponents, including Myers, by at least 10 points. The next week, Cook Political Report released a new round of 2014 Governors Race Ratings, rating Alaska as "Solid Republican."
|Governor of Alaska|
|Poll||Sean Parnell* (R)||Byron Mallott (D)||J.R. Myers (C)||Bill Walker (I)||Not sure||Margin of Error||Sample Size|
|Public Policy Poll|
May 8-11, 2014
|Ivan Moore Research Poll (Internal)|
June 19-23, 2014
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org|
**Note: Poll#2 did not ask respondents if they would vote for J.R. Myers**
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tap + Heikes + Alaska+ Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- State of Alaska Division of Elections, "August 19, 2014 Primary Candidate List," accessed May 22, 2013
- Anchorage Daily News, "Parnell says he'll seek re-election as governor," May 3, 2013
- Juneau Empire, "Treadwell: 'No interest' in primary against Parnell," December 4, 2012
- State of Alaska Division of Elections, "August 19, 2014 Primary Candidate List," accessed May 22, 2014
- Ballot Access News, "Alaska Gubernatorial Poll Suggests Constitution Party May Win Qualified Status for First Time," May 20, 2014
- Independent Political Report, "Constitution Party Candidate for Alaska," October 1, 2013
- J.R. Myers for Governor 2014 Official campaign website, "A Brief History of the Alaska Constitution Party (ACP)," accessed May 22, 2014
- Cook Political Report, "2014 Governors Race Ratings," May 16, 2014
State of Alaska
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Comptroller | Commissioner of the Department of Revenue | Commissioner of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Regulatory Commission |