|Nevada State Assembly, District 37|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Appointed||Upper Delaware Council|
|Supervisor, Town of Hancock|
|Bachelor's||Northwestern University, 1967|
|J.D.||University of Wisconsin Law School, 1974|
|Other||LLM, New York University Law School, 1975|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1968-1974|
Mackin earned his bachelor's degree in history from Northwestern University in 1967. He attended DePaul University Law School from 1967 until leaving in 1968 to serve in the United States Army. Mackin served in Vietnam (Long Binh) in the 1st Platoon of 32nd Medical Depot for 15 months and was awarded the Bronze Star for Meritorious Service in Vietnam, Meritorious Unit Commendation (with Oak Leaf Cluster), Vietnam Service Ribbon with 4 bronze service stars, Vietnam Campaign Medal and Army Good Conduct Medal. He was released from active duty in June 1971 and honorably discharged in September 1974.
Mackin returned to law school and earned his J.D. from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1974. While in law school, he served as the University of Wisconsin Law Review managing editor from 1973 to 1974. He earned his LLM in taxation from New York University Law School in 1975. Mackin was then admitted to practice law in U.S. Tax Court in 1975 and to practice law in U.S. District Court Northern District of New York. He was the deputy county attorney/ social services attorney for Delaware County from May 2001 to December 2007.
Mackin was elected supervisor of the Town of Hancock in Delaware County, New York and served from 1989-2001. He was appointed to the Upper Delaware Council and served for five years. He chaired the council in 2007.
Mackin was awarded NYS Conspicuous Service Cross by the Governor of New York State.
Mackin submitted the following statement to Ballotpedia:
|“||When I served in County Government in NYS in Delaware County as a member of the County Board of Supervisors from 1990 to May 2001, I served on the Public Safety Committee (overseeing the County Sheriff's Office), the Public Health Committee, and the Finance Committee. I also was appointed (despite being in the minority party) as Chair of the Technology Committee which was then overseeing the computerization of the County Government.
As a Deputy County Attorney/Social Services Attorney (from May 2001 to Dec 2007), I did trial work on child protective cases (child abuse and child neglect), guardianships for seniors who had no one to take care of their needs, and asset recoveries for the County to recover Medicaid funds for the taxpayers from those who had received them improperly (mostly wrongful asset transfers to create apparent Medicaid eligibility for nursing home care).
Mackin's campaign website highlights the following issues:
Preserve our Great Environment
- Excerpt: "We have a healthy environment here in Nevada. Let’s not lose it. Yucca Mountain as a nuclear depository is NOT DEAD!!! There are interests here in Nevada just waiting for the opportunity to RESURRECT it under the guise of a nuclear waste reconstituting (or recycling) center. Those interests would promote and accept this for MONEY."
- Excerpt: "Water is the life-line for the Vegas Valley. We MUST keep ALL options on the table to secure our future water needs. Southern Nevada got gypped 100+ years ago when water from the Colorado was apportioned among the States. WE MUST NOT LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN by conceding or abandoning some options without getting binding commitments for our future needs."
- Excerpt: "Let’s fund education adequately and appropriately and REQUIRE that sufficient funds be committed to the actual “education” of the children, not just to more and more administration and other “extras”. Many schools are operating without adequate books for the students. We need to change this and require that school district budgets MUST have sufficient appropriations for books for the students."
- Excerpt: "We MUST start the jobs program by discouraging the “outsourcing” of jobs. Surely we have capable Nevada residents to do this task. We need to focus on getting Nevada people to do Nevada jobs. This is just one example of how we can keep turning things around."
Common Interest Communities
- Excerpt: "I will support those proposals that enhance the smoothness and promote the fairness of the operations of our many common interest communities, while opposing those that just impose new burdens on our communities for no good reason."
Mackin submitted the following statement to Ballotpedia:
|“||Balance in government is important (NO EXTREMES). Integrity in government is important (no holding multiple offices concurrently ---- I never did). No diverting money from public education to private education. These can operate side by side as they always have (I know ---- I was educated in both systems). I oppose taking money from ordinary hard-working people to divert to wealthy businesses (like Tesla and its affiliates). I support sensible environmental regulations, but want them applied reasonably so that our country and state can develop our unique natural resources. I oppose EVER bringing nuclear waste under any name or phony concept to have it reside in Nevada at Yucca Mountain or anywhere else. I also think it is long overdue that more of the taxes raised in Clark County STAY in Clark County to finance OUR needs rather than diverting so much to other parts of the State.||”|
- See also: Nevada State Assembly elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Nevada State Assembly will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 10, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 14, 2014. Incumbent Wesley Duncan ran unopposed in the Republican primary, while Gerald Mackin was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Lou Pombo is running as a Libertarian candidate. Mackin, Duncan and Pombo will face off in the general election.
Mackin has been endorsed by the following:
- Professional Fire Fighters of Nevada
- Nevada Alliance for Retired Americans
- Nevada Association of Public Safety Officers
- Las Vegas Police Protective Assoc. Civilian Employees, Inc.
- Nevada State AFL-CIO
- Southern Nevada Central Labor Council AFL-CIO
- AFSCME Local 4041
- Plumbers, Pipe Fitters, Service Technicians Local 525
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gerald + Mackin + Nevada + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Nevada State Assembly
- Nevada State Legislature
- Nevada State Assembly elections, 2014
- Nevada State Assembly District 37
- Information submitted on Ballotpedia’s biographical information submission form on September 18, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Gerald Mackin campaign website, "Where I stand," accessed September 17, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "2014 filed candidates," accessed April 8, 2014
- Clark County, "Candidate filing," accessed April 8, 2014
- Nevada Secretary of State, "Nevada Primary Election 2014," accessed June 10, 2014