|Kentucky House of Representatives District 3|
|January 1, 2013 - Present|
|January 1, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||Paducah Tilghman (1972)|
|Bachelor's||Murray State University (1981)|
|Master's||Murray State University (1984)|
|Place of birth||Paducah, Kentucky|
Watkins earned his M.B.A. from Murray State University. His professional experience includes working as a Professor of taught Political Science at West Kentucky Community and Technical College.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Watkins served on the following committees:
|Kentucky Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Education, Vice-chair|
|• State Government|
Watkins' website highlights the following campaign themes:
- Excerpt: "I would start with the premise that we as a people have a moral and financial obligation to support the elderly and the disabled. However, I believe those of working age and physically and mentally capable have both a moral and financial obligation to support themselve"
Kentucky Criminal Code
- Excerpt: "I support a three strikes and your out bill for Kentucky. After convicted of ones third felony life in prison should be the sentence. No parole or probation would be possible."
- Excerpt: "We need to eliminate much of the testing in Kentucky K-12 Education, teachers find themselves teaching the test and are not really educating our children as they could. We need to trust our teachers and let them do their jobs of educating our youth."
Elections for the office of Kentucky House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place May 20, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was January 28, 2014. Incumbent Gerald Watkins was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Randy Bridges was unopposed in the Republican primary.
Watkins won election in the 2012 election for Kentucky House of Representatives District 3. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on May 22, 2012, and defeated Jason D. Crockett in the general election on November 6, 2012.
|Kentucky House of Representatives, District 3, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Jason D. Crockett||40.7%||6,406|
Comprehensive donor information for Watkins is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Watkins raised a total of $78,336 during that time period. This information was last updated on June 7, 2013.
|Gerald Watkins's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Kentucky State House, District 3||$78,336|
|Grand Total Raised||$78,336|
2012Watkins won election to the Kentucky House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Watkins raised a total of $78,336.
|Kentucky House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Gerald Watkins's campaign in 2012|
|Kentucky House Democratic Caucus||$21,500|
|Kenton County Democratic Executive Cmte||$10,000|
|Kentucky Democratic Party||$5,500|
|Kentucky Education Association||$2,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$78,336|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Watkins is divorced and has one child.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gerald + Watkins + Kentucky + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Kentucky General Assembly
- Kentucky House of Representatives
- Kentucky House Committees
- Kentucky Joint Committees
- Kentucky state legislative districts
- Rep. Watkins' wesbite
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Gerald Watkins on Facebook
- Gerald Watkins on Twitter
- Campaign Contributions: 2012
- "geraldwatkins2012," Official Campaign Website
- Kentucky Secretary of State, "Candidate Filings with the Office of the Secretary of State," accessed August 21, 2014
- C-SPAN, "Primary Results - May 20th, 2014," accessed May 20, 2014
- Kentucky Secretary of State, "Official 2012 Primary Election Results," accessed March 13, 2014
- Kentucky Secretary of State, "Official 2012 General Election Results," accessed March 13, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Watkins, Gerald," accessed June 11, 2013
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography," accessed June 2, 2014
Brent Housman (R)
|Kentucky House of Representatives District 3
| Succeeded by|
State of Kentucky
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | State Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor Cabinet | Chairman of Public Services |