|Montebello Unified School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 8, 2005|
|Montebello City Treasurer|
Guzman holds a degree in Business Marketing. She worked for nine years as an aide to Representative Grace Napolitano. Guzman served as the Montebello City Treasurer from 1999 to 2007. She has three children.
|Montebello Unified School Board, Full terms, November 5, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Hector A. Chacon Incumbent||23.4%||4,440|
|Nonpartisan||Benjamin Cardenas Incumbent||22.7%||4,305|
|Nonpartisan||Gerri Guzman Incumbent||19.1%||3,635|
|Nonpartisan||Frank Thomas Morales||6.7%||1,265|
|Source: Los Angeles County Clerk, "NOVEMBER 5, 2013 - LOCAL & MUNI CONSOLIDATED ELECTION Final Official Election Returns" Accessed December 18, 2013|
Guzman did not report any contributions or expenditures to the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk.
The Los Cerritos News endorsed Guzman on November 1, 2013.
Guzman won re-election to the board on November 3, 2009.
|Montebello Unified School Board, November 3, 2009|
|Nonpartisan||Hector A. Chacon Incumbent||27.1%||6,395|
|Nonpartisan||Edwin "Ed" Chau Incumbent||24.4%||5,758|
|Nonpartisan||Gerri Guzman Incumbent||21.4%||5,050|
|Nonpartisan||Carlos Morales Illingworth||17.7%||4,178|
|Nonpartisan||Mary Lou Saavedra||9.5%||2,245|
|Source: Smart Voter|
Guzman explained her reasons for running in 2013 in an interview with EGP News:
I am running so that I can continue to use my experience, education, and resources to ensure that our District remains fiscally sounds and accountable. As I’ve done over the past 11 years, I will persist in raising test scores, keeping our schools safe, increasing graduation rates, engaging parents, providing a healthy learning environment and quality educational opportunities to all students.
What was at stake?
Controversial campaign mailer
A campaign committee called the Voters for Good Government sent out a mailer prior to the election pointing out domestic violence charges against Guzman in September 2012. The mailer included a copy of the arrest record from Los Angeles County, a mug shot and text connecting the arrest to Guzman's failures as a board member. Guzman was never prosecuted in connection with the charges due to lack of evidence. She expressed disappointment that the mailer attempted to use domestic violence as a campaign issue. Voters for Good Government was registered to local political operative David Gould.
About the district
Montebello lagged behind state rates for higher education achievement, median income and poverty according to the 2010 U.S. Census. The percentage of city residents over 25 years old with Bachelor's degrees (16.7%) was lower than the state average (30.2%). The 2010 U.S. Census calculated a median income of $52,496 in Montebello and $61,632 for California. Montebello had a poverty rate of 15% in 2010 while California's poverty rate was 14.4%.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Montebello (%)||California (%)|
|Black or African American||0.9||6.2|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||1||1|
|Two or More Races||3.7||4.9|
|Hispanic or Latino||79.3||36.7|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gerri + Guzman + Montebello + School + District "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Montebello Unified School District, California
- Montebello Unified School District elections (2013)
- Smart Voter, "Gerri Guzman," Accessed November 21, 2013
- San Gabriel Valley Tribune, "Officials find another mystery bank account belonging to Montebello," February 17, 2011
- Los Cerritos News, "Endorsements: Elect Cardenas, Guzman, Chacon and Montoya for the Montebello Unified School District Board of Education," November 1, 2011
- EGP News, "Election Preview: Candidates Seek Seats In MUSD, Bell Gardens, Montebello," September 26, 2013
- Los Cerritos News, "Montebello School Board Member’s Past Arrest Record Mailed to Voters Days Before Polls Open," Accessed November 21, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau "Quick Facts: Montebello" Accessed November 21, 2013