|Last mayoral election:||2013|
|Next mayoral election:||2017|
|Last city council election:||2012|
|Next city council election:||2014|
|City council seats:||7|
|2014-2015 FY Budget:||$554,729,200|
|Population in 2013:||229,972|
Hispanic or Latino 14.9
African American 3.4%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone 0.8%
Two or More 3.5%
|Median household income:||$80,121|
|High school graduation rate:||95.9%|
|College graduation rate:||38.6%|
|Related Gilbert offices|
|Arizona Congressional Delegation|
Arizona State Legislature
Arizona state executive offices
The city of Gilbert utilizes a council-manager system. In this form of municipal government, an elected city council, which includes the mayor and serves as the city's primary legislative body, appoints an executive called a city manager to oversee the city's day-to-day operations.
The Gilbert City Council is the city's primary legislative body. It is responsible for approving and adopting the city budget, levying taxes and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances.
The city council consists of seven members including the mayor. All are elected at-large.
A full list of city council members can be found here
Commissions, boards and committees
A series of advisory boards and commissions that are made up of non-elected citizens, whom city council members have appointed and approved, advises the Gilbert City Council. The roles of these boards and commissions are to review, debate and comment upon city policies and legislation and to make recommendations to the city council.
For a full list of Gilbert's commissions, boards and committees, see here
- See also: Gilbert, Arizona municipal elections, 2014.
Elections for the city council of Gilbert, Arizona will take place on November 4, 2014. A primary election was held on August 26, 2014. The candidate filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was July 28, 2014. Four seats are up for election. 
Gilbert's adopted operating budget for fiscal year 2014-15 was $554,729,200.
- See also: Maricopa County, Arizona ballot measures
The City of Gilbert bases the state mandated required signature percentages on the total number of registered voters qualified to vote at the last municipal election, whether primary, general or special, immediately preceding the date upon which the relevant petition is filed. (Gilbert Code, Sec. 26-10) This initiative petitions must be filed at least 120 days prior to the date of the election at which the proposed measures are to be voted upon. (Gilbert Code, Sec. 26-10) (See above for state prescribed initiative process)
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Arizona city websites
This website was reviewed on March 12, 2012.
- Elected officials are listed with contact information.
- Meeting schedules, agendas, and minutes are posted.
- Budgets and audits are posted.
- Local tax information is available.
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information on department pages.
- Information on bid opportunities is available.
- Zoning information and building permits are available.
- Instructions, forms, and contacts are provided for making public records requests.
- Vendor contracts are not posted.
- No information is available on Taxpayer-funded lobbying.
- U.S. Census, "State and County Quick Facts," accessed on August 26, 2014
- City of Gilbert, "Town Hall," accessed on August 26, 2014
- City of Gilbert, "Mayor and Town Council," accessed on August 26, 2014
- City of Gilbert, "Boards," accessed on August 26, 2014
- City of Gilbert, "Candidate Information" accessed July 30, 2014
- Gilbert, AZ Adopted FY 2014/15 Budget, accessed on August 26, 2014
- Member of League of Arizona Cities and Towns, accessed on August 26, 2014
- City of Gilbert, "Mayor and Council," accessed March 12, 2012
- City of Gilbert, "Council Schedule," accessed March 12, 2012
- City of Gilbert, "Minutes," accessed March 12, 2012
- City of Gilbert, "Budget," accessed March 12, 2012
- City of Gilbert, "Finance," accessed March 12, 2012
- City of Gilbert, "eServices -- Vendor List," accessed March 12, 2012
- City of Gilbert, "Planning," accessed March 12, 2012
- City of Gilbert, "Public Records," accessed March 12, 2012