For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Gov. Cuomo signs several bills into law; protects kids from cyber-bullies and honors local heroes
By Lauren Rodgers
- Cyber-bullying: Under a new state law, the response of New York schools to harassment, cyberbullying and discrimination will be improved through "increased reporting, investigation, intervention, training and prevention." The law, which goes into effect on July 1, 2013, requires schools to act in cases of cyberbullying whether it occurs on or off school property and sets training standards for current school employees and new teachers or administrators who apply for certification.
- Fallen Firefighter Memorial: Any firefighter who is killed performing services in the line of duty will now have their names included on the Fallen Firefighter Memorial in Albany. The new legislation expands the law which previously restricted inclusion in the memorial to those who were killed as a "direct and proximate result of a line of duty injury." Cuomo's office cited the 2006 death of Paul Brady, a firefighter who died after falling from a fire engine that had been accidentally moved, as one example of a firefighter whose name will now be included on the memorial.
- Honoring Devin Snyder: A portion of Interstate 390 in Steuben County has been officially designated the "Sergeant Devin Snyder Memorial Highway." Snyder, a native of Cohocton in Steuben County, was the first female soldier from western New York to die in the war. She was killed on June 4, 2011 while serving in Afghanistan.
- Rockland County Times, "Governor Cuomo signs legislation to help protect students from cyberbullying," July 12, 2012
- Workers Compensation.com, "NY Governor Cuomo signs legislation to ensure any firefighter killed in the line of duty is included on Fallen Firefighters Memorial," July 13, 2012
- Associated Press, "Cuomo signs bill to expand firefighters' memorial," July 12, 2012
- Dansville Online, "Governor signs bill to Honor Devin Snyder," July 12, 2012
- New York State: Governor's office, "Legislation," accessed July 13, 2012