Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Ohio, District 9|
- 1 Elections
- 2 Issues
- 3 Personal
- 4 Additional reading
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 References
|U.S. House, Ohio District 9 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Marcy Kaptur Incumbent||56.2%||42,902|
|Dennis J. Kucinich Incumbent||40%||30,564|
On his 2012 campaign website, Veysey outlined his policy platform and campaign themes. The following were selections from his platform:
- Jobs: "There is no single silver bullet here... We need to invest in education at all levels, from early childhood to our research universities. We need sensible financial regulatory reform that creates the right conditions for investment and growth but protects our economy from greed. We need smart immigration reform that focuses on attracting and building a 21st century workforce--the kind of immigrant wave that made America great in the 20th century. We also need to make sure that our trade agreements benefit Americans and our commitment to our environment and our workforce."
- Government Reform: "Politicians like to talk about reaching across the aisle, but few of them are actually good at it. I want to stand in the aisle. I want to be the bridge. I will search for common sense solutions and the kind of compromise that can move the nation forward, the kind of compromise Americans want today. That’s not about one side caving into the unreasonable demands of the other side. It’s about finding our shared interest--a vision for the future we can agree on, and then deciding how to get there. That means Congress will have to work harder for the American people, and spend less time on summer recesses and raising money."
- Fiscal Discipline: "I will propose a constitutional amendment that prohibits the debt ceiling from being raised during times of economic prosperity. It is one of the reasons we’re in the fiscal mess right now. George Bush raised the debt ceiling in order to cut taxes for the wealthiest."
- Healthcare: "Every citizen should have access to affordable health care and health insurance. If they don’t have access, they still get sick, and all of us bear the costs. The Affordable Healthcare Act was important, but it wasn’t perfect. We can fix it. We provide some of the best health care in the world, and all Americans should have access to it. And that access should be something the nation can afford and sustain. We can be a healthier, stronger nation with a healthier, more productive workforce. And if we’re going to reform our health care system, there’s no reason why that shouldn’t be a clear and reachable goal."
February 4, 2012
On Saturday, February 4, candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, Veysey, and Kraus participated in a debate held at Sandusky's Ebenezer Baptist Church. The debate was hosted by the NAACP. Coverage of the debate can be found here.
February 13, 2012
On Monday, February 13, Democratic candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, and Veysey participated in a debate for Time Warner Cable's Northeast Ohio Network. Coverage of the debate can be found here.
February 20, 2012
On Monday, February 20, Democratic candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, and Veysey participated in a debate hosted by the City Club of Cleveland. Coverage of the debate can be found here. Full audio of the debate can be found here.
February 22, 2012
On Wednesday, Democratic candidates Kaptur, Kucinich, and Veysey participated in a debate hosted by the Coalition for Hispanic/Latino Issues & Progress (CHIP). Full video of the debate can be found here.
February 23, 2012
On Thursday, February 23, the Sandusky Register hosted a debate featuring the District 9 Democratic candidates. Full video of the debate can be found here.
|District 9 Democratic Primary|
|Poll||Marcy Kaptur||Dennis J. Kucinich||Graham Veysey||Undecided||Sample Size|
|American Public Polling|
February 20 – 27, 2012
|Note: The polls above may not reflect all polls that have been conducted in this race. Those displayed are a random sampling chosen by Ballotpedia staff. If you would like to nominate another poll for inclusion in the table, send an email to email@example.com|
- Submit an endorsement here.
Veysey is a graduate of Bates College. He interned for television commentator Tim Russert during his college years. He went on to work for the presidential campaigns of both Howard Dean and Barack Obama. He worked to found a television company in Maine, before moving back to Ohio and founding North Water Partners, a video production firm.
- The Hill, "Dem Reps. Kaptur and Kucinich face off in primary under presidential shadow," March 6, 2012
- Talking Points Memo, "Ohio’s Democratic Civil War Gets Ugly," March 5, 2012
- Toledo Blade, "Democratic hopefuls storm Toledo for votes," March 4, 2012
- Sandusky Register, "Tuesday primary anything but dull," March 4, 2012
- Fox 8, "Ohio Dems Make Final Push for 9th District Spot," March 4, 2012
- The Washington Examiner, "Kucinich faces war over earmarks in Ohio 9," March 2, 2012
- WatchDog.org, "Ohio’s 9th District race draws body blows in waning days," March 1, 2012
- WNWO, "Graham Veysey: The primary interview," March 1, 2012 (Video interview)
- Sandusky Register, "Veysey looks for congressional office space in Sandusky," February 29, 2012
- WNWO, "Graham Veysey campaigns in Toledo for second straight weekend," February 25, 2012
- Lakewood Observer, "Graham Veysey," February 21, 2012 (Candidate profile)
- Ohio's 9th Congressional District
- Ohio's 9th Congressional District elections, 2012
- United States House of Representatives