Grayson Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- School board meeting minutes, agendas, and schedule are available.
- School phone numbers are provided for administrative staff.
- Section K: School-Community Relations of the Grayson County Public School Board Policy Manual includes a Request for Information form in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act. Section D: Fiscal Management includes information regarding audit requirements and Section G: Personnel includes hiring and evaluation procedures.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- The division website does not include budget information.
- Academic performance information is not available. The information can be found on the Virginia Department of Education School Report Cards website.
- School board contact information is not available.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
Current School Board Members
|Misty Cassell, Chair||Elk Creek District|
|Shannon Holdaway, Vice-Chair||Wilson District|
|Gary Burris||At-Large Member|
|Hobert Bailey||Oldtown District|
|Wynn Combs||Providence District|
The current division superintendent is Elizabeth Thomas.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
No information regarding the Grayson County Public Schools budget is available.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Grayson County Public Schools as having a student population of 1,984 and 9 schools in the division.
Grayson County Public School Division did not make AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Baywood Elementary||Pre-K - 5||131||Yes|
|Bridle Creek Elementary||K - 5||98||Yes|
|Fairview Elementary||Pre-K - 5||106||Yes|
|Fries Middle||4 - 7||144||No|
|Grayson County High||9 - 12||788||Yes|
|Independence Elementary||K - 5||268||No|
|Independence Middle||6 – 8||217||Yes|
|Mount Rogers Combined||Pre-K - 12||88||Yes|
|Providence Elementary||Pre-K – 5||144||Yes|
The Virginia Education Association (VEA) is the teachers union for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The VEA is affiliated with the National Education Association (NEA). Grayson County is also represented locally by the Grayson County Education Association, a branch of the VEA.
- Grayson County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education Official Website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Grayson County Public Schools’, Board Meeting Minutes, June 27, 2010
- ‘Grayson County Public Schools’, Board Meeting Agendas, June 27, 2010
- ‘Grayson County Public Schools’, Board Meeting Calendar, June 27, 2010
- ‘Grayson County Public Schools’, Central Office Directory, June 27, 2010
- [ http://www.edline.net/GroupHome.page ‘Grayson County Public Schools’, Policy Manual, June 27, 2010]
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, School, School Division, and State Report Cards, June 27, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- ‘Grayson County Public Schools’, School Board, June 27, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Grayson County Public Schools, June 27, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010
- ‘Grayson County Public Schools’, Grayson County Education Association, June 27, 2010