Green Bay Area Public School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Green Bay Area Public School District
Brown County, Wisconsin ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
About the districtBrown County. According to the United States Census Bureau, Green Bay is home to 104,868 residents. Green Bay Area Public School District is the fifth-largest school district in Wisconsin, serving 20,376 students during the 2010-11 school year.
Green Bay underperformed in comparison to the rest of Wisconsin in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 21.3% of Green Bay residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 26.4% for Wisconsin as a whole. The median household income in Green Bay was $42,584 compared to $52,627 for the state of Wisconsin. The poverty rate in Green Bay was 16.9% compared to 12.5% for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Green Bay Board of Education consists of seven members elected at-large to three-year terms. There was no primary election and the general election was held on April 1, 2014. Two seats will be up for election in 2015 and three seats will be on the ballot in 2016.
Candidates for the Board of Education must be 18 years old, citizens of the United States and residents of the district at least 10 days before the election. Each candidate submitted at least 100 valid signatures to the Brown County Clerk by January 7, 2014.
- Michael Blecha
- Retired editor, Green Bay Press-Gazette
- Katie Maloney
- Occupational therapist
|Green Bay Area Public School District, At-large General Election, 3-year term, April 1, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Katie Maloney Incumbent||52.4%||9,168|
|Nonpartisan||Michael Blecha Incumbent||46.6%||8,159|
|Source: Brown County Clerk, "Official Results," April 8, 2014|
No candidate received an endorsement in this election.
As of February 7, 2014, no candidate filed a campaign finance report with the district office. State law allows candidates to claim exempt status from campaign finance reporting if contributions and expenditures do not exceed $1,000 during a calendar year.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|December 1, 2013||First day to circulate nominating petitions|
|January 7, 2014||Last day to submit nominating petitions to county clerk|
|March 24, 2014||Last day to file pre-election campaign finance report|
|April 1, 2014||Election day|
|July 21, 2014||Last day to file continuing campaign finance report|
Additional elections on the ballot
The Green Bay Board of Education election shared the ballot with other local and county races. Residents of Green Bay voted for 12 seats on the Common Council. The ballot also included 26 seats on the Brown County Board of Supervisors.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Green Bay + Area + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- School board elections in Alaska and Wisconsin spark debates over budgets, academic performance
- Incumbents dominate school board elections in Alaska, Wisconsin
- Green Bay Area Public School District, Wisconsin
- Wisconsin school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Brown County, Wisconsin ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Wisconsin
- United States Census Bureau, "Green Bay, Wisconsin," accessed February 5, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed January 27, 2014
- Brown County Clerk, "Election Results," accessed February 5, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Ballot Access Checklist," accessed January 24, 2014
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Overview: Local Candidates," May 2010
- Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, "Campaign Finance Checklist," accessed February 7, 2014
- Brown County Clerk, "Guide to 2014 Nonpartisan Spring Elections," accessed February 7, 2014
|2014 Green Bay Area Public School District Elections|
|Green Bay, Wisconsin|
|Election date:||April 1, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Michael Blecha • Katie Maloney|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|