Green Mountain Falls Board of Trustees recall, Colorado (2013)
An effort to recall the Green Mountain Falls Board of Trustees in Colorado was launched in July 2013. Supporters of the recall circulated petitions to qualify the recall question for the ballot. However, the recall did not go to a vote because the petitions were rejected on account of a spelling error. The name of Ralph LoCascio, one of the five targets of the recall, was misspelled on the petition, thereby invalidating it.
The recall effort was led by town resident Judy Wiedner. Recall supporters targeted trustees Ralph LoCasio, Jane Newberry, Margaret Peterson, Mac Pitrone and Howard Price. Mayor Lorrie Worthey and trustee Tyler Stevens were the only two not subject to the recall effort. The main issue that led to the recall effort was plans by the board to eliminate the town marshal.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Colorado
Recall supporters had until November 4, 2013 to collect 45 signatures for each recall petition in order to trigger a recall election. They submitted petitions for approval in late August and the petitions were approved in September. However, a spelling error ultimately invalidated the petition. A special election was estimated to cost approximately $5,000 to $10,000.
- 'The Mountain Jackpot, "Green Mountain Falls Recall Petitions Filed," August 29, 2013
- The Mountain Jackpot, "GMF Recall Group Receives Green Light For Ouster Petitions," September 11, 2013
- Colorado Community Media, "GMF recall postponed," September 24, 2013
- The Mountain Jackpot, "Political Tensions Escalate In Green Mountain Falls," August 15, 2013
- The Gazette, "Green Mountain Falls nixes retail pot as recall talk mounts," July 17, 2013
- The Mountain Jackpot, "Green Mountain Falls Recall Effort Moving Forward," July 24, 2013
- Green Mountain Falls, "Board of Trustee Directory," accessed: August 20, 2013
State of Colorado
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Executive Director of Natural Resources | Executive Director of Labor and Employment | Chair of Public Utilities |