Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Colorado State Senate, District 19|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
- See also: Colorado State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Colorado State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 24, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 31, 2014. Incumbent Rachel Zenzinger was unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Laura J. Woods defeated Lang Sias in the Republican primary. Woods defeated Zenzinger and Gregg Miller (L) in the general election.
This race was picked by analysts as one of two that were important for the control of the Colorado State Senate. The Democrats held the smallest possible majority in the chamber at one seat following the successful 2013 recalls of Senate President John Morse (D) and Angela Giron (D) and later resignation of Evie Hudak (D) after recall petitions were turned in against her. When Zenzinger, Hudak's former campaign manager, was first appointed, some conservatives argued that she would simply continue with Hudak's policies. "Sen. Hudak’s constituents were hungry for change and liberal activists served up more of the same. Zenzinger may have a different name, but she’s been behind Hudak’s policies. Anyone who thinks Zenzinger is going to stand up to her own Democrat majority is fooling themselves," said Kelly Maher of the conservative group Compass Colorado.
Jefferson County, where this seat is located, was considered by some to be "the epicenter of Colorado politics." Because of Zenzinger's relationship to Hudak, she was considered vulnerable to a Republican challenge. According to Chalkbeat, Zenzinger holds a "substantial fundraising lead" over Woods.
|Colorado State Senate, District 19, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Rachel Zenzinger Incumbent||46.3%||26,710|
|Republican||Laura J. Woods||48.1%||27,768|
|Source: Colorado Secretary of State - Results are as of 12:17pm with 1 of 1 counties fully reported.|
|Colorado State Senate District 19 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Laura J. Woods||55.4%||6,813|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gregg + Miller + Colorado + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Colorado State Senate
- Colorado State Senate District 19
- Colorado State Senate elections, 2014
- Colorado State Legislature
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Official primary candidate list," accessed May 1, 2014
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Unofficial primary election results," accessed June 25, 2014
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Unofficial general election candidate list," accessed July 23, 2014
- dailycaller.com, "Colorado Dems replace state senator with her former campaign manager," December 12, 2013
- Denver Post, "2 Jeffco GOP primary battles could dictate control of Colorado Senate," June 8, 2014
- Chalkbeat, "Democrats, unions pour money into key races," September 3, 2014