|U.S. House, Florida, District 2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) launched a new program in May 2013, dubbed the Jumpstart program, aimed at cultivating strong candidates in targeted districts for the 2014 elections. Graham was included on the list of eight Democratic challengers included in the program. She also received the backing of the Blue Dog PAC.
- See also: United States budget debate, 2013
“I think that would be the right statement to make, when literally hundreds of thousands of Americans aren’t being paid,” said Graham. “Southerland talks about special benefits not being available for members of Congress, and it is special to be able to behave like children and still keep their jobs.”
Graham described the shutdown as a “human disaster,” citing it as a budgetary issue and not an issue with the Affordable Care Act, often called Obamacare.
“People are fed up with Congress acting like children,” she said. “We need to fund the government and get the doors back open, get the parks back open and get the people back to work.”
Graham is running for election to the U.S. House, representing the 2nd Congressional District of Florida. Graham ran unopposed for the Democratic nomination in the primary. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
The Jumpstart program sets out to “provide early financial, communications, operational and strategic support to help top-tier candidates get a head start in these highly-targeted races,” according to a memo sent to donors and supporters. Eight Democrats have been included on a list for the program so far, including Graham.
In the second quarter of reporting campaign finance contributions in 2013, the most financially competitive race was in District 2, where Graham drew $377,448 between April and June 2013, the best for any Florida congressional challenger.
She also received endorsements from:
- Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL)
- EMILY'S List
- 4D PAC
- International Association of Fire Fighters
- National Education Association
- Florida AFL-CIO
- Committee for a Livable Future
NRCC's August 2014 ad, "The DC Way."
“Gwen Graham is trying to deceive voters into thinking she is focused on North Florida. In reality, Gwen has taken thousands of dollars from Nancy Pelosi and has promised to be complacent in the battle against bad policies like Obamacare. One thing is very clear – Gwen Graham’s liberal politics are not the North Florida way.” said NRCC spokeswoman Katie Prill.
|Gwen Graham (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|July Quarterly||July 15, 2013||$0.00||$377,448.96||$(73,492.79)||$303,956.17|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$303,956.17||$453,159.84||$(91,128.09)||$665,987.92|
|Year End||January 31, 2014||$665,987||$474,779||$(91,262)||$1,049,504|
|April Quarterly||April 15, 2014||$1,049,504||$485,258||$(120,480)||$1,414,282|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Gwen + Graham + Florida + Congress"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- United States House of Representatives
- Florida's 2nd Congressional District elections, 2014
- Florida's 2nd Congressional District
- Miami Herald, "In daughter's Congress bid, Bob Graham co-host's big-name fundraiser at Brian Ballard home" accessed May 10, 2013
- Roll Call, "Democrats Launch New Program for House Recruits" accessed May 10, 2013
- Washington Post, "Centrist Dem ‘Blue Dogs’ endorse trio of House candidates," accessed February 26, 2014
- News Herald, "Southerland: Shutdown fight a ‘moral issue’," accessed October 7, 2013
- Roll Call;, "Democrats Launch New Program for House Recruits," May 9, 2013
- Naples News, "Radel, Diaz-Balart begin building campaign accounts for 2014 re-election" accessed July 17, 2013
- WCTV, "Senator Bill Nelson Endorses Gwen Graham for Congress," accessed August 13, 2014
- Emily's List, "Gwen Graham," accessed August 13, 2014
- 4D PAC, "4D PAC Endorses Gwen Graham for Congress in FL-02," accessed August 13, 2014
- News Herald, "Firefighters union endorses Gwen Graham," accessed August 13, 2014
- Team LPAC, "2014 endorsements," accessed August 13, 2014
- Tallahassee.com, "Gwen Graham to get NEA endorsement," accessed August 13, 2014
- Florida AFL CIO, "Endorsements," accessed August 13, 2014
- Committee for a Livable Future, "Candidates," accessed August 13, 2014
- NRCC, "NRCC Releases New TV Ad Hitting Gwen Graham," accessed August 13, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "Gwen Graham 2014 Summary reports," accessed November 4, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "July Quarterly" accessed July 29, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "October Quarterly," accessed November 4, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Year End Report," accessed February 19, 2014
- Federal Election Commission, "April Quarterly," accessed April 28, 2014
State of Florida
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Chief Financial Officer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services | Commissioner of Insurance Regulation | Secretary of Environmental Protection | Director of Economic Opportunity | Chair of Public Service Commission |