Hamilton Township School District, New Jersey
|Hamilton Township School District|
|Hamilton Township, New Jersey|
|Number of schools:||24|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Albert Gayzik|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Hamilton Township School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtMercer County, New Jersey. The county seat of Mercer County and capital of New Jersey is Trenton. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Mercer County is home to 368,303 residents.
Mercer County underperformed in comparison to the state median household income based on the 2010 U.S. Census. The median household income in Mercer County was $73,883 compared to $71,180 for the state of New Jersey. The poverty rate in Mercer County was 10.7% compared to 9.4% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 38.0% of Mercer County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 35.0% in New Jersey.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
The superintendent of Hamilton Township School District during the 2013-2014 school year was James Parla. He has served in the position since his appointment in 2012. Parla worked for 14 years as an administrator in several New York school districts before moving to Hamilton Township.
The Hamilton Township School Board consists of nine members who are elected at-large to three-year terms. Board members receive no compensation for their service.
|Hamilton Township School Board|
|Anthony G. Celentano||2016|
|Pamela A. Kelly||2016|
|Christopher Frank Scales||2017|
School board elections
Members of the School Board are elected to three-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. Three seats were up for election on November 4, 2014, and three seats will be on the ballot in November 2015.
Public participation in board meetings
The School Board maintains the following policy regarding public participation at board meetings last updated in 2008:
|“||The Board of Education recognizes the value of public comment on educational issues and the importance of allowing members of the public to express themselves on school matters of community interest.
In order to permit the fair and orderly express of such comment, the Board shall provide a period for public comment at every public meeting.
Public participation shall be permitted only as indicated on the order of business in Board Bylaw No. 0164.
Public participation shall be extended to residents of this district, persons having a legitimate interest in the actions of this Board, persons representing groups in the community or school district, representatives of firms eligible to bid on materials or services solicited by the Board, and employees and pupils of this district, except when the issue addressed by the participant is subject to remediation by an alternate method provided for in policies or contracts of the Board.
Public participation shall be governed by the following rules: 1. All persons wishing to participate in a public Board meeting shall register their intent with the Board secretary in advance of the meeting;
2. A participant must be recognized by the presiding officer and shall preface comments by an announcement of his/her name. Township of residence and group affiliation, if appropriate. The announcement of his/her address shall be voluntary.
3. Each statement made by a participant shall be limited to three minutes' duration;
4. No participant may speak more than once on the same topic until all others who wish to speak on that topic have been heard;
5. All statements shall be directed to the presiding officer; no participant may address or question Board members individually;
6. The presiding officer may:
The portion of the meeting during which the participation of the public is invited shall be limited to twenty minutes unless extended by a majority vote of the Board members present.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Hamilton Township School District does not maintain a published salary schedule for teachers.
Teachers in Hamilton Township School District are represented during contract negotiations by the Hamilton Township Education Association (HTEA). The President of HTEA as of January 28, 2014 is Fred Schwartz.
Schools in Hamilton Township School District
The district served 12,114 K-12 students during the 2012-2013 school year. The district experienced a 6.0% decrease in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Hamilton Township School District operates 24 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Hamilton Township School District|
|Alexander Elementary School|
|Crockett Middle School|
|Grice Middle School|
|Greenwood Elementary School|
|Hamilton High School West|
|HEP High School|
|Kisthardt Elementary School|
|Klockner Elementary School|
|Kuser Elementary School|
|Lalor Elementary School|
|Langtree Elementary School|
|McGalliard Elementary School|
|Mercerville Elementary School|
|Morgan Elementary School|
|Nottingham High School-North|
|Reynolds Middle School|
|Robinson Elementary School|
|Sayen Elementary School|
|Steinert High School-East|
|Sunnybrae Elementary School|
|University Heights Elementary School|
|Wilson Elementary School|
|Yardville Elementary School|
|Yardville Heights Elementary School|
The New Jersey Department of Education administers annual standardized tests for math and English Language Arts (ELA) proficiency in every public school district. The New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) tests student proficiency in grades three through eight. The New Jersey High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) tests student proficiency in the 11th grade. Student scores are broken down into Partially Proficient, Proficient and Advanced Proficient categories based on annual test results. The following table lists NJ ASK and HSPA results for the 2012-2013 school year in Hamilton Township School District:
|Student proficiency, 2012-2013|
|Grade level||Subject||Partially Proficient (%)||Proficient (%)||Advanced Proficient (%)|
|3||English Language Arts||35.0||63.3||1.7|
|4||English Language Arts||45.7||49.2||5.1|
|5||English Language Arts||42.6||51.3||6.1|
|6||English Language Arts||43.1||55.9||5.8|
|7||English Language Arts||42.3||51.9||5.8|
|8||English Language Arts||20.4||73.9||5.6|
|11||English Language Arts||10.3||75.2||14.4|
|Transparency grading process|
- Audits and Budgets are posted.
- Contact information for elected officials is available.
- Contact information for administrative officials is available.
- Meeting minutes and notices are posted, but agendas are not provided.
- The website has a Government Records Request Form.
- Employee contracts are posted.
- Provides information on what state tests are administered to students.
- Does not provide district wide academic performance, but links to the State Department of Education School Report Cards.
- Policies regarding purchasing are published.
- Current price list is posted.
- Revenue sources are noted in the budget.
- Meeting agendas are not posted.
- Information regarding background checks is not available.
- Does not provide district wide academic performance.
- No specific information on what percent of local tax goes to school district.
- New Jersey
- List of school districts in New Jersey
- Hamilton Township School District elections (2013)
- School Board Elections portal
- Hamilton Township School District
- Hamilton Township, New Jersey
- New Jersey Department of Education
- New Jersey School Boards Association
- Hamilton Township Education Association
- United States Census Bureau, "Mercer County, New Jersey," accessed October 28, 2013
- State of New Jersey Department of State, "Statewide Voter Registration Summary," accessed October 27, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Meet the Superintendent," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Bylaws," accessed January 28, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Hamilton Township School District, "2013-14 User Friendly Budget Summary," accessed December 17, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Hamilton Township School District FISCAL YEAR: 2011-12," accessed December 3, 2013
- Hamilton Township Education Association, "About the HTEA," accessed January 28, 2014
- State of New Jersey Department of Education, "Fall Enrollment Charts," accessed January 28, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Schools," accessed January 28, 2014
- New Jersey Department of Education, "Assessment," accessed January 29, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Budget Information," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "BOE," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Telephone Directory," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "BOE Meeting Agendas," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "BOE Meeting Schedule," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Employee Contracts," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "District Testing Information," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "District," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Purchasing Policies & Procedures," accessed January 27, 2014
- Hamilton Township School District, "Purchase and Property," accessed January 27, 2014