|New Mexico Secretary of Education|
|2010 - Present|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Gov. Susana Martinez (R)|
|Bachelor's||Sonoma State University|
|Master's||Pepperdine University's School of Public Policy|
Skandera served as Florida's Deputy Commissioner of Education under Gov. Jeb Bush (R). She previously served as a senior policy advisor and Deputy Chief of Staff at the US Department of Education and was Undersecretary for Education to California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R). In the private sector, Skandera served as CEO of Laying the Foundation, a national teacher training program for teachers of English, Mathematics and Science, and was Executive Vice President at Academic Partnerships in Dallas, Texas.
- MA, Public Policy, Graduate School of Public Policy, Pepperdine University
- B.A., Business, Sonoma State University
New Mexico Secretary of Education (2010-present)
Skandera faced a contentious confirmation hearing in the State Senate between her appointment by Governor Martinez and assuming the role of Secretary in December 2010. In January 2014, in a State Senate controlled by Democrats, Skandera faced opposition from the majority party. “It’s a matter of principle,” said Senate Majority Leader Michael Sanchez, who has opposed Skandera's appointment due to Skandera's inexperience as an educator and classroom teacher. “She does not meet the qualifications by even the farthest reach of how you stretch the constitution,” Sanchez said. “We should follow our constitution. So I don’t think it’s a matter of futility. I think it’s principle that we should stand on.” Skandera, however, received support from Republican leaders in the state legislature.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Hanna + Skandera + New + Mexico + Education"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- New Mexico Secretary of Education
- Superintendent of Schools
- New Mexico school districts
- New Mexico Department of Education
- New Mexico Public Education Department - Secretary Hanna Skandera
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Hannah Skandera on Twitter
- New Mexico Independent, "Martinez taps former Florida official to head education department," December 22, 2010
- Albuquerque Journal, "Skandera Still Awaiting Confirmation," February 6, 2013
- New Mexico Public Education Department, "Hanna Skandera," accessed February 19, 2013
- WatchDog.org, "NM education boss, despised by teachers unions, to have confirmation hearing," January 22, 2014
|New Mexico Secretary of Education
| Succeeded by|