|Former candidate for|
|Alabama State Senate, District 30|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Garner's professional experience includes founding Garner Electric. He is also the president of the Millbrook Chamber of Commerce.
Garner's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Economic Development
- “Ask anybody in the district what their top priority is and they’ll tell you jobs. As a small business owner, I know what jobs mean to our economy. While Alabama is going in the right direction, we have to keep working to make the business climate even better. Government has to get out of the way of small businesses.”
- Roads and Traffic
- “The morning drive to I-65 will turn a saint into a sinner. The congestion on feeder roads must be addressed. And we must improve our rural roads and bridges to move people and products through the district more safely and efficiently."
- Fiscal Soundness
- “Government should learn a lesson from the rest of us. If you don’t have it, you can’t spend it. Raising taxes and fees won’t be discussed as long as we watch every dollar of state spending. Allocation of dollars should be based on need rather than pork for some political insiders.”
- Improving Education
- “Our students have to be sufficiently prepared to take a job when they graduate, and our curriculum should reflect real needs in the work force. Parents should be more involved, and we must not let up on improving math, science and technology skills.”
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Clyde Chambliss, Jr., Suzelle Josey, Harris Garner and Bill Harris faced off in the Republican primary. Because no candidate received more than 50 percent of the votes, the top two vote-getters - Chambliss and Garner - met in a runoff election, which Chambliss won. Chambliss will face Bryan Morgan (I) in the general election.
|Alabama State Senate, District 30 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Clyde Chambliss, Jr.||49.9%||9,144|
Garner and his wife, Cathy, have four children and two grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Harris + Garner + Alabama + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama State Senate
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Alabama House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Harris Garner, "Meet Harris," accessed May 3, 2014
- Harris Garner, "Issues," accessed May 3, 2014
- AL.com, "Alabama primary runoffs: Live results from select statewide races," July 15, 2014
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014