Hawaii Age Qualification for Governor, Amendment 1 (2008)
|Hawaii Amendment 1|
Text of measure
The ballot question voters decided on is,
"Shall the age qualification for the office of governor and office of lieutenant governor be reduced from 30 years of age to 25 years of age?"
- Honolulu Star Bulletin
Arguments in Support
Notable arguments made in support of the measure included:
- Allowing younger people to run for the state's highest offices would encourage more of them to take part in politics.
- There are many under 30 who have been successful in business and other enterprises and should not be denied a chance to run.
- If a person under the age of 30 is able to go to war, fight, and die for our country, a person should be able to run for office.
Arguments in Opposition
Notable arguments made in opposition of the measure included:
- At 18 a person might not be prepared for political leadership.
- Statewide ballot measures (2008)
- Past Hawaii ballot measures
- 2008 ballot measures
- Start contributing
State of Hawaii
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Director of Finance | State Auditor | Superintendent of Education | Hawaii Director of Commerce and Consumer Affairs | Commissioner of Agriculture | Chairperson of Land and Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Industrial Relations | Chair of Public Utilities |