Cities in Hawaii
There are 0 municipalities in Hawaii.
Types of local government
There are four local governments in Hawaii. Of these, all four have charters. The only city in Hawaii is Honolulu which is consolidated with the county of Honolulu. The other counties are Hawaii, Maui, and Kauai.
In addition, there are 17 special districts.
Initiative process availability
An initiative process is available in all four counties for citizens to propose ordinances and charter amendments (including the consolidated city-county of Honolulu). The process requirements are set by the county's respective charter.
Full List of Cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
As of the 2010 Census, there is one incorporated city in Hawaii. Population figures below are based on the updated estimates as of July 1, 2011.
|List of Cities and Population in Hawaii|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- U.S. Census Bureau, Governments--Individual State Descriptions, "Hawaii," pg. 111
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census, "March 2011 Estimate of Hawaii cities"