Hawaiian officials sign clean energy agreement with China
HONOLULU, Hawaii: Governor Neil Abercrombie and state officials met with Chinese government officials at the fourth-annual Asia-Pacific Clean Energy Summit in August to discuss and sign an agreement that calls for Hawaii and China to jointly pursue clean-energy projects. The agreement will identify Chinese and Hawaiian firms dedicated to clean energy that are seeking economic opportunities and development in Hawaii.
Governor Abercrombie and Secretary General Xu Hubin of the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade signed the agreement on August 13, 2012. The signing of the document follows a letter of intent signed by the governor in November 2011 at the Hawaii-China Forum at APEC.
The agreement sets up a process where clean energy investors and developers from China are referred to the Hawaii State Energy Office. State officials then work to facilitate matchmaking with Hawaiian clean energy partners that are in need of capital or development partners. Companies in Hawaii that are interested in participating in the matchmaking process are invited to register online via the state’s energy office.
According to Mark Glick, an administrator for the Hawaiian State Energy Office, “Part of the next step is for us to actively assist them [China] in linking Hawaii firms and opportunities with businesses in China that would like to invest in clean-energy development. We have no idea of the scale or how much it will invest. It’s fundamentally unlimited from a potential standpoint.”
A letter of intent for a memorandum of understanding is also expected to be signed for a Korean Smart Grid Project, which will test innovative automated metering infrastructure in a hospitality industry setting.
- News: Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative " Hawai’i Launches Clean Energy Partnership with China"
- News: Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative " Abercrombie: Hawaii wants to collaborate with renewable energy partners"
- News: Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative "Clean Energy Agreement With China"
- News: Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative "Hawaii, China to sign pact in pursuit of clean energy"
- News: Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative "China-Hawaii clean energy collaboration sets framework"
- Hawaii State Energy Office
- Office of Governor Abercrombie
|Propositions •||Recall||• Law|
- Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative " Abercrombie: Hawaii wants to collaborate with renewable energy partners" Accessed September 13, 2012
- Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative " Hawai’i Launches Clean Energy Partnership with China" Accessed September 13, 2012
- Hawaii Clean Energy Initiative "Hawaii, China to sign pact in pursuit of clean energy" Accessed September 13, 2012