Hazleton Area School District, Pennsylvania
|Hazleton Area School District|
|Superintendent:||Francis X. Antonelli|
|Number of schools:||10|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Brian Earley|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Schools in district
- 6 Academic performance
- 7 School website evaluation
- 8 Contact information
- 9 External links
- 10 References
About the district
The county underperforms with the state averages in education and median household income. According to the 2010 Census, the percentage of residents with a high school degree (77.9%) is lower than the state of Pennsylvania (87.9%) and the percentage of residents over 25 with a bachelor's degree or higher is also lower in Hazleton (12.2%) compared to the state overall (26.7%). The median household income in Hazleton is $33,964 compared to Pennsylvania's statewide median of $51,651.
Hazleton Area School Board named Francis X. Antonelli as superintendent in February of 2013. Antonelli was previously a principal and deputy superintendent before being appointed interim superintendent in September 2011, when then-Superintendent Samuel Marolo began a year-long leave of absence preceding his retirement.
Hazleton Area schools are overseen by a nine-member board elected to four-year terms. The current members are:
|Central Dauphin School District|
|Robert Child, M.D.||At-Large||2015|
|James G. Chapman||At-Large||2017|
|Jared M. O'Donnell||At-Large||2017|
School board elections
Members of the Hazleton Area School District are elected to four-year terms. Each election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of odd-numbered years. Five seats are up for election in November 2015 and four are up for election in November 2017.
The table below displays the budget for Hazleton Area School District.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Schools in district
Hazleton Area School District serves 10,301 students in ten schools. The district has maintained consistent enrollment.
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Hazleton Area School District operates ten schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Hazleton Area School District|
|Arthur Street Elementary|
|Drums Elementary-Middle School|
|Freeland Elementary-Middle School|
|Hazle Building-Ninth Grad Center|
|Hazleton Area High School|
|Hazleton Elementary-Middle Schools|
|Heights Elementary-Middle School|
|McAdoo-Kelayres Elementary/Middle School|
|Valley Elementary-Middle School|
|West Hazleton Elementary-Middle Schools|
Adequate Yearly Progress
Academic performance for the district is available via Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) reports. These reports are measurements defined by the United States federal No Child Left Behind Act that allow the U.S. Department of Education to determine how every public school and school district in the country is performing academically according to results on standardized tests. AYP in Pennsylvania measures student results for three indicators: attendance (for schools without a high school graduating class) or graduation rate (for schools with a high school graduating class), academic performance; and test participation. In order to be proficient in attendance, schools much achieve a 90% attendance rate or meet a target set in the previous year. The graduation rate measure has a goal of 85%, or a 10% reduction of the difference between the previous year's graduation rate and 85%. For academic performance, the state goals for the 2011-2012 school year were 78% of students scoring at proficient or higher in mathematics and 81% of students scoring at proficient or higher in reading. For test preparation, at least 95% of all students in each subgroup must take the test.
|District AYP scores|
|Transparency grading process|
School website evaluation
- The current budget is published.
- Audit Reports are published.
- Tax information is published.
- Current district report cards are published.
- Bid requests and results are published.
- The names and contact information for all administrative officials are provided.
- Complete contracts are not published.
- School board meeting minutes are not published.
- The names and contact information for school board members are not provided.
- There is no information on background checks, public records, and lobbying.
1515 West 23rd Street Hazle Township, PA 18202-1647
Phone: (570) 459-3111 Ext. 3101
- "2010 Census: Quick Facts," "Hazleton," Accessed August 28, 2013"
- The New York TImes, "Election Results," Accessed August 9, 2013
- "Weekender," "Antonelli selected to head Hazleton Area," Accessed August 28, 2013
- "Hazleton Area School DIstrict, "School Directors," Accessed August 28, 2013
- "Hazleton Area School District," "Budget/Financials," Accessed August 29, 2013
- "Pennsylvania Department of Education," "Public School Enrollment Reports," Accessed August 29, 2013
- "Central Dauphin School District," "Select a School," Accessed August 21, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, "About AYP in Pennsylvania," Accessed August 6, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, "Hazleton Area SD AYP Report Card," Accessed August 21, 2013
- Business Office
- Business office
- Business Office
- Academic Performance